Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house - hidden extras?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Been approved for a mortgage for a property of 34,950. We have the deposit of 3,950 but what else would we be looking at? Solicitor etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

- Solicitor
    - Land registry fees
    - Stamp duty
    - Surveyor

To name a few, but I am sure there are plenty I cannot think of at this moment in time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Been approved for a mortgage for a property of 34,950. We have the deposit of 3,950 but what else would we be looking at? Solicitor etc?

Solicitor for fees and outlay around 2k. Surveyor 300ish. Stamp duty 1% and property tax so another few hundred. Furniture? Home insurance. Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

so would probably need 7000 to cover deposit & everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I hope you got a pre-purchase home survey. This crowd do them - http://www.kelleherassociates.ie/pre-purchase-home-surveys/ and they seem to know their stuff.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Life insurance is mandatory also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If electricity etc has been disconnected check reconnect charges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

electricity
    gas
    water
    cleaning
    tiling
    flooring
    furniture
    painting
    plumbing
    maintenance
    gardening
    upkeep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

An engineer to check that the house is properly built, services like water, sewage are in place and actually work. Also to check that planning permission is in order. Even if its a new or relatively new house, you need to have it checked in view of the horror stories about house building standards in recent years. Its a while since I bought my own place so I don't know what engineers charge for doing surveys (post Celtic Tiger era).

The bank will have a survey done but don't rely on that. The person doing it is working on behalf of the bank not you.

For solicitors, shop around and get a few quotes. Start with your own solicitor, it you already have one for other matters or if your family have used one in the past and found them good. In my experience,as in all things, the cheapest quote may not always mean the best service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

New door lock barrels/ locksmith
    toilet seat(s)
    lawnmower if there is a lawn
    septic tank check - if it hasn't been done already.
    Well water quality test if it has a well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You have to pay for a valuation for the property for your lender, this has to be paid by you.

You should also get an engineer's inspection on the property, solicitor's usually recommend it.

As above ,land registry, stamp duty, property tax, search fees, solicitors fees. Life and mortgage cover required by the lender.
    Insurance on the property. Furniture, removal vans. There's another thread here somewhere about what you need to buy for your first home when you move in.

Depending on the property you may have to pay for electricity and phone connections.

It's an expensive business this house buying thing! You will probably spend your first year in the house doing it up so be prepared for that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,699 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, are you really telling us that you're buying a house that's only worth 39k?

I'm thinking that some of the answers above (engineers and the like) might be different for a property where the price is so low - surely it's 100% going to have some significant defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, are you really telling us that you're buying a house that's only worth 39k?

I'm thinking that some of the answers above (engineers and the like) might be different for a property where the price is so low - surely it's 100% going to have some significant defects.

Or else its in Offaly...

*no offense to Offaly, but you got seriously ****ed over in the Celtic Sloth...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Yes its a 2 bed house. needs a bit of a paint but everything else seems ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Management fees, if applicable to your property....this is an ongoing expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What bank gives a mortgage for less than 40k

Advertisement