Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm recommendations please?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was asked; buy a friend and now my sister, to install an alarm for them (they are both trying to save on cost).

Alarm A)

Consists of minimum 7 PIR's (one will be entry/exit) and ideally wired but must be zoned and have the ability to disarm via key fob.

Alarm B)
    3 PIR's and 2 contacts (one will be entry/exit)
    I have installed some alarms in the past both my own HKC SecureWatch and my parents Actec 49DV but both of these were some time ago and I believe there are different alarms system on the market.

Basic requirements are that the alarm low cost and decent specifications. Any of you guys recommend a system which a person can buy based on the above. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Hi Sdunne,
    There is thread on here that explains the popular alarms that are available on the market. *I've just realised I'm not allowed to post urls as I'm a new user*

If you already have previous experience with the hkc secure watch,their new panel might suit you. they've a new panel called secure wave, it's a 10 wired zones and 70 wireless zones also which will accommodate the key fob.

I wouldn't recommend on just relying on PIR's and only a contact as this means someone has to already be in the house before the alarm activates, plus the damage done to windows and doors.

Shock sensors activate the alarm when someone bangs the window.

Just curious but alarm A had seven PIR's and alarm B had three PIR's, why exclude the extra Four on the second alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SDunne4

Hi Lyncher2014,

Thanks for the reply.

Alarm A is an old renovated house which has no cables put we can get into the attic. i understand that we could go wireless but as we are trying to cover all rooms with minimum cost i figured at least one PIR per room. I personally never installed the wireless sensors and am weary of the battery life? What is you opinion of the battery life on theses?

Alarm B is a pre-wired house but trying o keep the cost down again and cover the majority of the house. I suppose my thought were that i could add onto it as time goes by and they can afford more.

Thanks again for the quick reply, if you think i wrong in my reasoning please feel free to comment. As i said it has been 3-5 years since i put in a alarm.

Hi Sdunne,
    There is thread on here that explains the popular alarms that are available on the market. *I've just realised I'm not allowed to post urls as I'm a new user*

If you already have previous experience with the hkc secure watch,their new panel might suit you. they've a new panel called secure wave, it's a 10 wired zones and 70 wireless zones also which will accommodate the key fob.

I wouldn't recommend on just relying on PIR's and only a contact as this means someone has to already be in the house before the alarm activates, plus the damage done to windows and doors.

Shock sensors activate the alarm when someone bangs the window.

Apologies Sdunne, I just read it again about A and B alarm.

Wireless devices are grand to work with, battery life 3/4 years. Easy to install. Only main down fall with them is the size difference due to the accommodation of the battery

They're good also if you're thinking of adding to the system over a period of time, no need to re wire anything

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Post deleted and infraction for Altor.
    You are here long enough to know not to discuss moderation on thread.
    The reasons they were deleted were already explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SDunne4

KoolKid wrote: »
    Post deleted and infraction for Altor.
    You are here long enough to know not to discuss moderation on thread.
    The reasons they were deleted were already explained.

Sorry to ask but why was this post deleted? Just curious?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

SDunne4 wrote: »
    Sorry to ask but why was this post deleted? Just curious?

It was deleted for discussing moderation decisions on thread.
    Something like what you are doing here.
    Final warning. Drop it or pm me if you want to discuss it further.

Advertisement