Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 530 announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Updated with a quad-core CPU and a more rounded design. It should sell very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    Updated with a quad-core CPU and a more rounded design. It should sell very well.
    The 520 was a great entry level phone, especially if you could pick it up on special at €49. If they play it right with the 530, they might have a big seller on their hands - grand for the kids, or as a backup phone.

From the look of it, it has 'soft' phone buttons (on screen rather than dedicated capacitive buttons), so does that mean the screen in general has changed? Better quality screen?

Also, the hardware camera button seems to be gone (but the 520 Camera button was spongy anyway).

From the look of it, it has 'soft' phone buttons (on screen rather than dedicated capacitive buttons), so does that mean the screen in general has changed? Better quality screen?

You're right, I didn't notice that at first. The screen is probably the same type/quality though - it is the lowest end phone ;-)

Also, the phone has 4GB storage instead of 8GB on the 520 - this will allow for a slightly cheaper initial price.

I'm not normally a fan of these kinds of videos, but this comparison between other low-end phones is quite compelling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjGI5UP7L4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The 512MB RAM though..... :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

theothernt wrote: »
    ...I'm not normally a fan of these kinds of videos, but this comparison between other low-end phones is quite compelling......

The video is nonsense. Most of the points made are very subjective. Even an old version of Android from 2yrs ago has more functionality than WP 8.1. You could go though every point an do similar.

The 530 isn't a replacement for the 520. Its a lower spec. Its targeted at things like the Moto E. Xperia E1.

The replacement for the 520 is the 630. Nokia/MS usual daft numbering scheme.

• Advertisement

whirlpool wrote: »
    The 512MB RAM though..... :-/

Its not really an issue. Most games and apps run fine on 512 on WP.

Theres bigger issues with WP like how it handles multitasking and giving apps priorty.

beauf wrote: »
    The video is nonsense. Most of the points made are very subjective. Even an old version of Android from 2yrs ago has more functionality than WP 8.1. You could go though every point an do similar.

The 530 isn't a replacement for the 520. Its a lower spec. Its targeted at things like the Moto E. Xperia E1.

The replacement for the 520 is the 630. Nokia/MS usual daft numbering scheme.

How is the 530 not a replacement for the 520?

... both the 530 and 630 are slightly lower spec. than their predecessors (no camera button, less on-board storage, etc) so that cost can be as low as possible. MS realise the 520 sold well and need to keep the momentum up.

AFAIK (open to correction)

520 vs 530

8GB vs 4GB
    Autofocus Camera vs Fixed focus.
    720p video vs 480p video
    dual core Cortex-A9 cores vs Quad Cortex A5 cores (A9 is a faster chipset)
    Adreno 305 GPU vs Adreno 302 (faster graphics gaming)
    IPS display vs standard TFT LCD
    ambient light sensor vs none
    proximity sensor vs none

The 520 is better in every area over the 530.

I don't think Mokia is trying to have a follow on to existing models. I think they are trying to match Android offerings at the same price point. As the market has changes their models are changing to suit. The 520 was a much more expensive phone. Its a lot cheaper now, because its an old model. The 530 is almost half the 520 was new. Trying to apply logic to Mokia numbering is a lost cause. It makes no sense. The closest match to the 520 is the 630. The 530 is a closer match to the Moto E.

beauf wrote: »
    AFAIK (open to correction)

520 vs 530

8GB vs 4GB
    Autofocus Camera vs Fixed focus.
    720p video vs 480p video
    dual core Cortex-A9 cores vs Quad Cortex A5 cores (A9 is a faster chipset)
    Adreno 305 GPU vs Adreno 302 (faster graphics gaming)
    IPS display vs standard TFT LCD
    ambient light sensor vs none
    proximity sensor vs none

The 520 is better in every area over the 530.

You're correct, but the 530 is still the successor - and it could be 10 or 20 euro cheaper because of those changes.

Obviously, if you're unhappy with the compromises then spend another 50 or 100 euro and get a much better phone :)

Its only successor if you ignore price, specification, competing models in the market. All facts and logic. Its a number which has no meaning. Its just marketing mumbo jumbo. So you have to ask yourself. Do accept marketing mumbo jumbo without question. Or do you do your research and find out the facts, specifications, compare pricing and hardware. I'm not unhappy. I think people should be aware, that if they think they are buying a 520 equivalent for less money, they are wrong. Mokia's Numbering seems to be turning into a cynical marketing exercise.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19988_Battling_at_the_low_end_Nokia_.php

• Advertisement

Given the market the 520/530 is aimed at, and the type of person who'd buy it - I doubt they'd notice or care.

The specs. changes are about the realities of the market and what actually sells. Having slightly better specs. is nice but that's not the deciding factor of nearly all consumers at this level.

And again, if you were picky about the specs, you can spend a little more and get the 630 or 635.

That people don't do their research before they buy things, I don't disagree. But I assume people on this forum wish to be informed.

By "at this level" I assume you mean price. The 530 is pitched at the Moto E/Xperia E price point. The 520 originally sold at (or above) the 630 price point. Not unexpectedly as the 520 and 630 are very similar spec wise. AFAIK (open to correction)

520 vs 630

8GB vs 8GB
    Same camera
    Both 720p video
    Both Adreno 305 GPU
    Both IPS display

The 630 has a some worthwhile minor improvements over the 520. So if you have a 520 you'd replace it with a 630 not a 530. Unless as you say people just want the cheapest thing. In which case they might choose something that matches their shoes.

Interestingly Nokia did this naming thing before with the Lumia 630 vs 625, and also arguably the 620 is a better spec'ed phone than the 625.
    http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19878_Never_mind_the_new_Lumia_630_g.php

Its a bit like the VW naming 1.2 Polo the Golf GTI and seeing how many people buy it.

They should have called it the 430 maybe

Advertisement