Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer day looms

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Ive been a long time reader of boards, but have spent the best part of the last year lurking on the Gamsat and GEM forum.

This time last year I was fully convinced GEM was for me. I got a relatively good score of 66 which I imagine will guarantee me access to any of the schools or colleges I would like. When the results came out I was excited but since then, and particularly as offer day looms and I will need to give notice at work my days have been filled with one aching question:

Do I really want this?

I am trying to think of the reasons I fell in love with the idea in the first place but think that those reasons are now outweighed by the prospect of how this massive change will affect my life. The long working hours, the treatment of new graduates in particular, the years of hard graft. All this is weighing heavily on me at the moment.

I am in a good paying profession, one where there are ample opportunities to grow and move forward both on the professional ladder and the financial one. I have and can have a good work/life balance where I am.

I think in the back of mind and perhaps in the back of most medical students/GEMs is the prospect that some day, at some point in their life they will reach consultant level and that work/life balance coupled with the job satisfaction will be achieved. I don't know if it's worth sacrificing the next 10+ years for this.

Hope I am not the only one who feels like this! And good luck to all with offers in the coming weeks!

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I was thinking like that for awhile, I too have a good job with promising career opportunities. I think for me I just don't want to be sitting in the local 20 years from now telling people that I COULD have studied medicine and went the extra mile if I felt like it but instead opted out of it because I was worried about the herculean task that it was.. I suppose it's a really YOLO type of thing for me so **** it I might aswell have a crack, take a chance and do something that I always wanted to do rather than simply taking the easier path. Not to mention I spent too much on GAMSAT materials for it all to come to nothing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

SVP89 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive been a long time reader of boards, but have spent the best part of the last year lurking on the Gamsat and GEM forum.

This time last year I was fully convinced GEM was for me. I got a relatively good score of 66 which I imagine will guarantee me access to any of the schools or colleges I would like. When the results came out I was excited but since then, and particularly as offer day looms and I will need to give notice at work my days have been filled with one aching question:

Do I really want this?

I am trying to think of the reasons I fell in love with the idea in the first place but think that those reasons are now outweighed by the prospect of how this massive change will affect my life. The long working hours, the treatment of new graduates in particular, the years of hard graft. All this is weighing heavily on me at the moment.

I am in a good paying profession, one where there are ample opportunities to grow and move forward both on the professional ladder and the financial one. I have and can have a good work/life balance where I am.

I think in the back of mind and perhaps in the back of most medical students/GEMs is the prospect that some day, at some point in their life they will reach consultant level and that work/life balance coupled with the job satisfaction will be achieved. I don't know if it's worth sacrificing the next 10+ years for this.

Hope I am not the only one who feels like this! And good luck to all with offers in the coming weeks!

S

Hi S,

You are not alone on this thought pattern.

I like my family, friends and the place I live. I am 29 and probably wont get to enjoy life in the same way until im in my 40's if I accept an offer....And that makes a difference compared to a 22 year old college graduate.

This October my family is having a reunion holiday for my fathers 60th... pursuing medicine this year means I sacrifice this trip. And I wont get that time back!!

This will be the first in a long line of things I will probably miss in the pursuit of a medical career.

Although medicine is the only thing I've wanted to do for a long while; im now questioning the reasoning that will lead to relegating many other things in my life to achieve this goal... and at that, the reality is not everyone reaches the goal of becoming a consultant. Maybe I will like the GP route.

I wonder if the decision would be easier if our hospital system was more like New Zealand?!

SwiftEagle is right too though, 10 or 20 years from now what does one want to look back and say??

i know everything changes, just because ones comfortable today does not mean you will be tomorrow, next week, month or year. A comfortable job today may not exist next year, so we can fail playing it safe too! Anything worth doing usually has a cost.

I could go on meandering, but u get the point

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SVP89

Thanks for the responses!

Its good to know that there are some others out there who feel the same.

I feel like I am over thinking the whole thing, and envy those who just go for it, they get their offer and take it and that it that. Maybe they possess a degree of certainty about this career path which I do not.

I think in the next week or so I need to really sit down and think about what drove me to Gamsat in the first place before I make such a radical change to my life.

Was it really a desire to be a doctor or was it a social stigma engrained in me, that being a doctor is a prestigious/finanically rewarding career.

S, Do you mind me asking what age you are?

Clearly there is a perception of social and financial status that shrouds the profession. But I dont think that is the reality once one is in there. It will be hard work, limited social life and thin finances; at least for the first decade or so. Especially with GEM loans to repay.

Yet, there are few jobs in this world that are so fundamentally valuable and allow practitioners to engage with others in such a way. Plus, for me, I really enjoy the learning that comes with medicine. I would find myself reading such related publications just randomly and enjoying them.

Durf wrote: »
    S, Do you mind me asking what age you are?

Clearly there is a perception of social and financial status that shrouds the profession. But I dont think that is the reality once one is in there. It will be hard work, limited social life and thin finances; at least for the first decade or so. Especially with GEM loans to repay.

Yet, there are few jobs in this world that are so fundamentally valuable and allow practitioners to engage with others in such a way. Plus, for me, I really enjoy the learning that comes with medicine. I would find myself reading such related publications just randomly and enjoying them.

Hey!

Ill be 26 starting!

What scares me is medicine is something I only gave serious thought about in the last year or two, its by no means my dream since I was a child as some on here will claim. I have this deep down feeling that maybe I am chasing this for the wrong reasons and would be just as happy in another field once I got over the "Im not going to be a doctor" side of things.

Do you plan on starting come sept?

• Advertisement

SVP89 wrote: »
    Hey!

Ill be 26 starting!

What scares me is medicine is something I only gave serious thought about in the last year or two, its by no means my dream since I was a child as some on here will claim. I have this deep down feeling that maybe I am chasing this for the wrong reasons and would be just as happy in another field once I got over the "Im not going to be a doctor" side of things.

Do you plan on starting come sept?

Medicine for me was a realisation late in mid 6th year. But by then it was too late and sufficient study just had not been done! So for the last 10years its been in the back of my mind.

I thought I would start in 2015. Although i had my CAO application sorted, I actually sat the march GAMSAT as a dry run, with little preparation, just to set myself up for the sept UK exam. So i was surprised I got sufficient points.

But really im not sure i am mentally or financially prepared to start this September. But of course the danger is points may change by 2015 and my present score may be rendered useless!

But, the jury is still out!

What are you thinking of doing? At 26 waiting a year would not be terrible and you could better weigh up ur prospects. Plus u have an excellent gamsat score so you'd be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sof__

Going to be starting medicine in September having done GAMSAT in March. Been wanting this for years and took me more than one GAMSAT attempt. To be starting medicine is something that fills me with huge excitement and deep rooted happiness. It's a dream come true and words couldn't describe how thrilled I am. I would think that if you don't feel enthusiastic about medicine before you have even started, then working for the next 40 years in the profession, particularly at the start, where you may be doing 60 plus hours per week, will be draining. Obviously I'm not a doctor or medical student yet, but I can't see there being any prestige in the profession. You are going to be working alongside other doctors, nurses, radiographers, physios, OT's etc. who are part of a multidisciplinary team in which everyone is equal. The money will be decent in the end but if that was part of my motivation to become a doctor then I wouldn't do medicine.

sof__ wrote: »
    Going to be starting medicine in September having done GAMSAT in March. Been wanting this for years and took me more than one GAMSAT attempt. To be starting medicine is something that fills me with huge excitement and deep rooted happiness. It's a dream come true and words couldn't describe how thrilled I am. I would think that if you don't feel enthusiastic about medicine before you have even started, then working for the next 40 years in the profession, particularly at the start, where you may be doing 60 plus hours per week, will be draining. Obviously I'm not a doctor or medical student yet, but I can't see there being any prestige in the profession. You are going to be working alongside other doctors, nurses, radiographers, physios, OT's etc. who are part of a multidisciplinary team in which everyone is equal. The money will be decent in the end but if that was part of my motivation to become a doctor then I wouldn't do medicine.

Hi sof_,

Thanks for the reply, its great both to see what everyone else is thinking and also impressive that your so set on this profession. If you carry this sense of enamour for medicine with you through college then I am sure you will make a fantastic doctor.

I guess to be honest I find your view slightly idealistic in a sense (and that's not an aggressive move on your view, nor a disagreement, just merely my observation). I happen to be one of the people you mentioned above who forms part of an MDT and equality is a word I would use very, very lightly. Simply put, it does not exist in reality. From my perspective I form part of the MDT but ultimately I do not have enough input with regards the clinical management of the patient and this is what I would like. This management process is decided by the doctor.

My internal query is rather if the life change is worth it to make this move as one member of the MDT to the other. I am not sure if the sacrifice is worth it.

sof__ wrote: »

It is really great to be motivated and the enthusiasm is admirable. I know medicine is something that interests me greatly, nevertheless a little pragmatism is prudent. Especially prior to becoming head deep in debt just before jumping aboard the SS.HSE, itself in distress!

I would contend with one point you make...There are plenty of folks working 60 plus hours a week in various jobs, some are lucky to love their work, some accept it as good stable job, other are just punching a clock card scrapping by on minimum wage or double job'n to support their family... I can imagine these people dont love their job and they too are drained.

I guess what I am saying is there is a need for greater cognisance of a more holistic array of drivers that lead people to medicine... or any career for that matter.

I would echo the observation of the my fellow poster, there is a tone of idealism, which really is great if thats enough for you right now. I mean not to sound condescending... its balls to the wall and just go for it...and I kinda wish I cud be the same.

Yet, I cant help broadening my thoughts and deepening my consideration of what I am giving up vs what I am gaining. What 40 year old me will value over 28 year old me!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

I feel the same OP!

I have applied to UCD and should get an offer however over the past few weeks since the actual initial joy of getting the required Gamsat result has worn off I have begun to reassess my reasoning for wanting to enter medicine in the first place.

While Ill be relatively young going in, I do not want to be looking back at my younger years (20s/30s) and think that I spent them all either sitting at a desk studying or working with little money to live off. Ive already done five hard years in pharmacy, I don't know if I can stomach another round!

Its a tough decision to make!

• Advertisement

I feel the same OP!

I have applied to UCD and should get an offer however over the past few weeks since the actual initial joy of getting the required Gamsat result has worn off I have begun to reassess my reasoning for wanting to enter medicine in the first place.

While Ill be relatively young going in, I do not want to be looking back at my younger years (20s/30s) and think that I spent them all either sitting at a desk studying or working with little money to live off. Ive already done five hard years in pharmacy, I don't know if I can stomach another round!

Its a tough decision to make!

Hi PharmaCrunch,

Days away now...its getting tough!

Not being from a medical or science background at all I am curious what it is you (and SVP89) see in becoming a dr that is more preferable or fulfilling than in your current discipline?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

To study medicine or not to study medicine? For me, I am very excited to be starting in September. I have been working in a health care setting going on 10 years now, I know this is what I want to do. I wish I had heard of the GAMSAT sooner than I did last year. In my line of work I have met a lot of patients, their families and friends; the actions of a doctor has an impact on others apart from the patient and I would like to assume this responsibility, rather than being in my current position, also the MDT aspect where everyone is equal is indeed not a reality. I get to talk to interns; the ones I have spoken to are happy. I know about the long hours, I do them- keeping two (hosp) jobs in the last 6 months.

There are numerous defects suffered by the human body to say the least. Being able to understand illnesses, treat and/or cure them gets me excited. Evidently, not all can be treated/cured, so making a terminally ill patient as comfortable as possible during his/her final hours is something a doctor should have in mind. I want to know how best to help my patients, hence not only do I want to study medicine, I want to be good at it.

The debt will be an issue but my interest in medicine supersedes it. The next 4 years though short will be very interesting and I just can't wait to get started.

Putting other things to the side, money is something that scares me a bit and probably the source of most other reservations!

Although I dont want to waste time, and I have some savings, I think (maybe) if I take one more year to save then I should be more relaxed getting started!

Anybody else thinking like this or, perhaps, did the same last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 grapefruit_1

Hey OP, I felt exactly the same as you this time last year. I was 26 starting a 5yr course. Having first year behind me, it is definitely the best decision I've ever made. It is a tough course and the BIGGEST issue for me this year was the transition from having a pay check every month to none at all. It's really difficult at the start learning how to budget properly again. The year went by soooo quickly though , I still can't quite believe I've done it!

I was in a very good, well paid job. I was very nervous leaving it all and diving head first into the unknown.

You have to be prepared to put in A LOT of hours but it is relatively easy to maintain a good work/life balance. I'm on a 5 year course so I probably have slightly less work than a GEM student and longer holidays (4 months this summer).

My advice would be to just go for it! You give up a lot but you gain a lot. It's not like you are going to have NO life for four years, it can be fun and you will meet lots of new and interesting people.

You get out of it what you put in !

I got offered Medicine a few years ago and turned it down for the same reasons your thinking and I can tell you that the want to be a doctor doesn't leave you so don't wait, just do it !

Hoep this helps. PM if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Frances02

Hi Durf, Pharmacrunch, SVP89, I have been reading your thread from last year and I am in the exact same position. It's such a relief to see all my thoughts and fears echoed! I am a pharmacist who has had medicine niggling away in the back of my mind for three years now. I finally sat the GAMSAT in the UK and scored 62, so I reckon I'll have a good shot at getting a spot next September, but as the high of the results are wearing off and I am starting to try and budget for four year's worth of 100 grand debt I am starting to seriously doubt myself. I would really love to know what you all did and how you are feeling now. PM me if necessary, any advice would be great.

Advertisement