Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foghorn sounding this morning

Options
  • 23-07-2014 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anybody hear it? or was i dreaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

No you didn't dream it. I was up very early was foghorn sounding at about 6 a.m.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe you were all dreaming? :p

Foghorns (on lighthouses) were discontinued/stopped in 2011.

Might have been a ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

In Dublin? Heard it too, I think there was 4 blasts of it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

OldBean wrote: »
    In Dublin? Heard it too, I think there was 4 blasts of it?

Most likely a ship manouvering.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I was up to go to work and there were defo 4 loud noises that sounded like a fog horn between 5.45 and 6 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it probably was, there was a private foghorn sounding in Dun Laoghaire harbour when the fog rolled in yesterday afternoon, I think one of the yacht clubs were using it as they had a huge bunch of kids out training. There were no large boats manoeuvring at the time.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ....when the fog rolled in....there were no large boats manoeuvring at the time.

How could you see if there were any? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I had the window open in my room and it woke me up around then in Dublin 1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rule 35 of the "Rules of the Road" for ships states:
    In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night, the signals prescribed in this Rule shall be used as follows:

(a) A power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes one prolonged blast.

So every ship in and out of Dublin port will be sounding their horn in fog. Ships at anchor in the bay will have another signal and anything manoeuvring within the port should also sound an appropriate signal (regardless of visibility).

So lots of toot-toots when the fog is down. Just none from lighthouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IcarusPlus

I heard several blasts this morning at about 5:45am (I'm in Dublin 2). <mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It was sounding last night as I went to bed (circa 11pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Yeah, it is individual ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yeah, heard of "Bbbbuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's" in Dublin 3 at around 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah it probably was, there was a private foghorn sounding in Dun Laoghaire harbour when the fog rolled in yesterday afternoon, I think one of the yacht clubs were using it as they had a huge bunch of kids out training. There were no large boats manoeuvring at the time.

There were a lot of ships manouvering yesterday afternoon in and out of Dublin Port sounding their horns, you could hardly see them with the fog

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe you were all dreaming? :p

Foghorns (on lighthouses) were discontinued/stopped in 2011.

Might have been a ship?

Why did they discontinue fog horns on lighthouses do you know? It's a pity cos I like that sound

Why did they discontinue fog horns on lighthouses do you know? It's a pity cos I like that sound

With better and better radar technology, fog signals were considered to be redundant (in terms of usefulness for shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I used to love staying in Dun Laoghaire during the early 80s.
    I was only 7 or 8
    We used to stay in a b+b the night before we'd head off to the Isle of Man or Wales.
    We used to hear the fog horn during those foggy summer mornings.
    Great memories. ..

Thinking about it gives me a thought of a family reunion to the Isle of Man
    Grand Parents, Us big kids and Grand kids....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DOCARCH wrote: »
    With better and better radar technology, fog signals were considered to be redundant (in terms of usefulness for shipping).

And cost, the Lighthouse Authority are looking to cut every possible cost out of the operation.

Advertisement