Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first 40ft dip… any advice

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

okay so im hitting 40 in sept and promised myself id take the plunge in the 40ft on my 40th birthday with the family looking on as spectators. As it draws near I'm shieting myself, having never done it before and not being a strong swimmer, I'm decent enough but not strong. Basically do I have anything to worry about, should i tip-toe in or just jump in… any advice would be welcomed, as I an feel the gooses pimples forming already:0)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure you mean a dive, or a swim? If doing the swim, get a health check on your ticker beforehand, as the cold water can be a fierce shock to the system.

Oh, and whilst I'm talking about the cold water, when you first get in, force yourself to take a few large breaths and then put your head and shoulders under the water when you get, so it won't seem as cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

In the 40ft you'll be out of your depth all the time. If you're not a strong swimmer I'd suggest you do a few trial runs first maybe around the corner in Sandycove or in Seapoint

Advertisement