Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple picker

Options
  • 22-07-2014 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know a good brand for a telescopic apple picker? Or an irish supplier / shop for fruit picking tools?

I'm lucky enough to have a very very old, tall apple tree in the garden. Can't get anywhere near the top of it.

There are some on amazon, but the reviews are a bit mixed, people say they break after two apples etc. postage is a dose with long tools, so If i'm paying for awkward posting, the thing better be worth it.

Looking at having the tree for a few decades to come hopefully, so would like to get a solid tool for getting these down.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

700_rhs-willow-fruit-picker.jpg

I reckon its possible to make something like this - some branches for the structureand some rope or twine to weave a basket

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

I couldn't advise on any commercial product but I use a 2L coke bottle with the bottom cut off stuck onto a long pole, works great. Like this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks guys, it's the height which is the problem rather than the grabber...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks guys, it's the height which is the problem rather than the grabber...

get a long length of wood and make one, id say it would be the best thing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

get a long length of wood and make one, id say it would be the best thing to do

I've zero clue how to make a telescopic handle. I would have thought that would be fairly tricky? Unless you mean a whole pile of different length things that I attach the picker too. That's a pain though...

I think wolfgarten do a telescopic range, but I've only ever seen them for sale in the UK. Must be some orchard supply place somewhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

pwurple wrote: »
    I've zero clue how to make a telescopic handle. I would have thought that would be fairly tricky? Unless you mean a whole pile of different length things that I attach the picker too. That's a pain though...

I think wolfgarten do a telescopic range, but I've only ever seen them for sale in the UK. Must be some orchard supply place somewhere in Ireland.

you could buy a telescopic handle for painting if you could get one long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Advertisement