Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain cleaner device

Options
  • 22-07-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use one of these and if so are they any good and could you recommend one to get or should I just stick with a rag cloth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Stick with a rag.
    i have one, but it send gunk everywhere. useless yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I sellotape two old toothbrushes together and stick the chain between the bristles.
    It eases my OCD a little ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

i use this and its very good:
    parktool.com/product/chain-gang-cleaning-system-CG-2-2

give the chain a wipe afterwards with a cloth as well.
    i do get citrus degreaser in the lbs which is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

Aldi or Lidl normally have a chain cleaning gadget for sale during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

Have a park tools one. Find it very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pros use a paintbrush.

(and also a power washer, which is fair enough if the bearings only have to last 3 weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Also have the parktool version, find it very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭billyhead

The only site on the web were I can find the Park tool cleaner is chainreaction and it seems fairly expensive i.e €37.49. Is there anywhere else cheaper to get it? Thanks for all the feedback so far:D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-chain-gang-cleaning-system-cg2-2/rp-prod109627

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

billyhead wrote: »
    The only site on the web were I can find the Park tool cleaner is chainreaction and it seems fairly expensive i.e €37.49. Is there anywhere else cheaper to get it? Thanks for all the feedback so far:D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-chain-gang-cleaning-system-cg2-2/rp-prod109627

That includes a bottle of gunk and hook thinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I prefer to remove the chain and clean it in diesel using a small brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

No loss on the aldi/lidl ones for a few quid,
    Does a reasonable job,
    Get your degreaser from an autofactor shop,
    Much cheaper than bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I got one in the local Lidl shop think it was about 8/9e did a good job in cleaning the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The Park Tools one is the business. You'll never get your chain as clean using any other method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I use the muck off one, handy tool to have, just wipe it with a cloth after use, was the rest of the bike, an other wipe with the cloth and lube up again
    muc-off-chain-doc-zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I got the Park Tools one and used it a few times but find my chain falls off every few revs of the cranks, so I've abandoned it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Used to have the muck off one but got a bit fiddly and quite expensive refills,now use brush and turps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have one of those "machines", but I now only use a clean rag, then oil the chain.

I got the Park Tools one and used it a few times but find my chain falls off every few revs of the cranks, so I've abandoned it :(

Put the chain in the bottom cog of cassette. Make sure then that the chain is more or less parallel to ground. Also make sure you're not accidentally pulling the cleaning device towards you when spinning the chain (keep chain in a straight line)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

How often are you guys cleaning your chains and cassettes? I am in the process of installing new tyres onto the bikes so might take this opportunity clean up the chains etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

logik wrote: »
    How often are you guys cleaning your chains and cassettes? I am in the process of installing new tyres onto the bikes so might take this opportunity clean up the chains etc.

Every week when I'm bothered. Otherwise when it starts to look dirty. Best to not wait till then cos it gets harder to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

road bike nearly after every ride

Commuter maybe twice a year (7 speed chain !)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

road bike nearly after every ride

Commuter maybe twice a year (7 speed chain !)

You take the chain off and wash it after every ride? That not a bit extreme? You have to put it back on and then lube it up. Its a dirty job.

EDIT - Sorry, just realised you use the chain cleaner from chain reactions :)

I'll wipe with a rag after a long spin or maybe after 2 shorter ones. I'll clean with the park tools cleaner thingy every 2 - 3 weeks or so. All depends on how much I've been out. But when I use the cleaner I'll then clean the whole drive train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

I do mine after each wet spin, I use the lidl chain cleaner and some engine degreaser (jizer i think its called), then lube with Finishline Dry.
    On the cassettle I use Fenwicks foaming degreaser and then wash it off after scrubbing with a tooth brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I clean my drivetrain when the shifting gets worse or when it starts making unpleasant noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

white spirits & a toothbrush is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I wipe down the chain with a clean cotton rag before a ride, then oil the chain. If I come back for a rainy ride I would wipe the chain then, but also do the "wipe chain clean, oil chain" routine before the next ride.
    Sometimes I would use an old toothbrush and water. You have to use judgement. In gardening there is a saying that the eyes are the best gardening tool.
    I read about the "wipe with a clean rag, then oil" method in my big Campagnolo book (I have Shimano).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

I used to be sceptical about those chain cleaners but I got a cheap one from Lidl last year to try and have to admit it does the job nicely. I just fill up the reservoir with normal washing up liquid give it a few spins, quick rinse, repeat and apply oil/dry lube with a brush to the link pins/rollers.

Using a brush can be a pain in the sphincter but it's offset by how quick the chain cleaner is. Plus whats the point in getting oil all over the outer plates just so more crap can stick to your chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Do people lube the inner circumference of the chain rather than the outer?

I think the theory here is that crap typically gets attached to a chain on the "outside" and lubing the inner reduces the collection of crap thrown up from the front tyre.

Advertisement