Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy knee

Options
  • 22-07-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

hi All,

I noticed recently that my right knee is sore for days after a jog. I am only jogging a couple of times a week, so I am not over-doing it by any stretch of the imagination.

can anyone suggest some kind of support/strapping for my knee, to prevent or reduce the chances of this pain, or at least prevent it from getting worse?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What are your runners like?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

What are your runners like?

they should be ok. I spent around 120 euro on them in the Edge, where they were able to check my running posture, arches, etc so that I bought the most suitable pair

i am definitely not overdoing it either. i only jog about 2-3 times per week

Do you ever do a bit of foam rolling or get a massage?

When I've suffered from knee pain, there have bneen two reasons: rubbish runners when I started out annd a ridiculously tight IT band.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

Do you ever do a bit of foam rolling or get a massage?

When I've suffered from knee pain, there have bneen two reasons: rubbish runners when I started out annd a ridiculously tight IT band.

ok, thanks for the advice. forgive my ignorance but I havent heard of foam rolling?

wrt IT band, there is no swelling, but it could be a possibility. i assume this issue will eventually have to be resolved by a physio or someone, but i was just hoping to try some kind of support/strapping to see if that helped at all, in the mean time.

Meursault wrote: »
    ok, thanks for the advice. forgive my ignorance but I havent heard of foam rolling?

wrt IT band, there is no swelling, but it could be a possibility. i assume this issue will eventually have to be resolved by a physio or someone, but i was just hoping to try some kind of support/strapping to see if that helped at all, in the mean time.

Here's a link on it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/foam-roller-it-band

It doesn't need to be swollen, just tight. Mine gets tighter midway up the thigh and below the hip. The first time a physio went to release it it was agonising. I work on my mobility regularly now anyway so it's not an issue anymore but the physio said if I continued running with it as tight as it was, I'd be in trouble down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sorry, wer're not allowed give out medical advice here.

From the charter:
    We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked.

A strap is not really going to help the underlying issue, it might simply provide short term relief. If the pain continues the bets thing would be to get it checked out by a physio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement