Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid on my house - Can estate agent let other bidders know on Daft etc.

Options
  • 22-07-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

My house has been for sale for a while. A few people have viewed it; one of whom has put a bid on it. We're currently negotiating with them to put in a higher bid.

But, would it be OK to change the Daft ad to let people know that there is a bid, and if they are thinking of bidding, they better hurry up?

Thanks for any advice...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've seen E.A.'s include the words "Under Offer" on Daft etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Other estate agents- change it to POA (Price On Application) once there is a bid on it- and potential buyers are then supposed to ring them to find out what the story is (in general it just puts off people even looking at the property- and it removes it from price criteria on searches on myhome.ie or daft.ie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I saw one recently which stated deposit taken in the heading. This might be a goer to be a light under people.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

Given the two answers above and the fact that I don't want to put anyone off.
    Would people recommend not changing text on Daft at all or putting something up that we've received a bid, but that others are welcome to view? (Or would this antagonise the original bidder?)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Well if I was bidding on your house and this went up I would withdraw. If it has been up awhile on daft and not had much interest then I would reduce the price on daft to get more interest in the property or just continue your discussions with a real and interested buyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm not sure if any amendment to an advertisement would induce potential bidders to move faster. Neither do I think it would help in an effort to get a better offer from the current bidder; if anything, it might suggest to the bidder that the deal was almost done at the price bid.

I did see an advertisement for a property that interested me. It included the words "Under negotiation" on it, and I phoned the EA to see if I could view it. I was told that "Under negotiation" meant that it was not being shown, that a sale was imminent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Is this gazumping or is that only if a bid is accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I did see an advertisement for a property that interested me. It included the words "Under negotiation" on it, and I phoned the EA to see if I could view it. I was told that "Under negotiation" meant that it was not being shown, that a sale was imminent.

I have had the same experience with a number of agents, as such if I saw this on an ad I wouldn't bother to enquire about the house.

Not sure any change of wording will entice bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gazumping is when all is agreed and done and seller suddenly raises price.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marie rosanna

emmetfahy wrote: »
    Given the two answers above and the fact that I don't want to put anyone off.
    Would people recommend not changing text on Daft at all or putting something up that we've received a bid, but that others are welcome to view? (Or would this antagonise the original bidder?)

i would say nothing, just leave it, when I see POA I think there is something wrong with the property and that the vendor didnt get the original asking price and now will take whatever someone is prepared to offer. If I saw that there where offers already on a property I would move on,,, not prepared to get into a bidding war... thats just my opinion, leave well enough alone,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

TheDriver wrote: »
    Gazumping is when all is agreed and done and seller suddenly raises price.

Hope this isn't off topic, but I understood gazumping is when someone else makes an offer which the vendor accepts after they are already sale agreed with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

If your house has been for sale for a long while, the offer is a decent enough one and the potential buyers are mortgage approved and not in a chain then why not grab it with both hands?

Otherwise what date is on the advert?
    I know if I see anything over a month old I mostly ignore them. I assume it has been sale agreed but EA isn't bothered about updating the ad or that they are not really for sale.

Also I love seeing adverts with opening viewings on Saturday listed. These seem to attract the biggest crowds including those who aren't even interested in buying but just want a nose. The house I am currently bidding on was an open viewing that I would have never looked at otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

OK everyone. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll hold off changing the advert.

Advertisement