Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon Hiccup

Options
  • 22-07-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi guys,

thanks for commenting on my last thread about nearly fainting (it was locked due to it getting dangerously close to medical advice - fair enough!). I went to the doc and it turns out I have an ear infection which is why I nearly fainted. When you're sick your body used up calories to fight infection hence why I nearly burned out the last time!

Because of being sick I am getting really nervous about my 21k coming up on the 4th of August. I haven't gone on a long run since the fainting situation (10th of July - 18k at a 5.30km/hr pace) Before that long run I went for a longer run two weeks before that was the 27th (21.02km at a 5.18km/hr pace). Even though I've been sick I'm getting in three 5k's a week on top of that. Apart from the two long runs above I've completed the 21k in training around 6 times in total since I started. I've done one 10k in a race and doing the colour dash this saturday for the lols.

I am feeling better today and hoping to get out there tonight. Anyone think I'm on track to do this properly or should I cancel going on the half marathon? I was doing grand on training but being sick has slightly knocked my confidence.. I am happy to sit out this half marathon though and take on another one in the future.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you are just recovering from an ear infection, whilst you may be feeling a bit stronger your body is still recovering from the infection. There are plenty of half marathons on over the next few months. I think there are 3 in September alone so you could aim for one of those and build on your running endurance and confidence over the next few weeks.

Also it has been really humid over the last few weeks so aside from the fact you have been feeling a bit crap, the muggy weather aint gonna help you either.

Are you doing the half for the sake of doing it or do you want to target a time?
    If its just for the sake of it then maybe yeah you could run/walk it as your long slow run for that weekend, if its for a particular time I would do one at a later date.

I think the best thing for you now is to go out for a few easy runs and go on how your feel, don't worry about time or speed, take it easy, bring some water if needed, or leave a bottle somewhere along the route so you know its there if you need it. See how long you can go for - if you are feeling crap after 10 minutes then leave it and try the next day, if you can manage longer great. Focus on getting your confidence back and getting out for a run with no target in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Sounds like a good plan! No, I'm really only a beginner runner (started in January) so doing the Half-Marathon in itself would be a massive achievement for me! I would love to do it in under 2hrs but I'm not too worried about the time situation.

The humidity has definitely added a lot of crap to this whole situation! I wish it would pass or just rain a lot!!

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to go out for a long run tonight (would love to get a 21k in...) but if I feel poorly I won't beat myself up. I'm still on antibiotics but will be finished them on Friday so I'm getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi TRL,
    Glad you are feeling a bit better and on the road to recovery. I agree with groovyg that skipping the HM on the 4th might be a good idea as there are a few HM's a few weeks later. I too am probably going to skip the R&R HM as the inside of my right knee is starting to really pain me after 15K or so and that course profile looks really tough with lots and lots of hard hills. I have ran a good few 10K's in the Park and they on their own are very tough and this HM appears to hit these 'hot spots' well into the race.

I think the sand on Dollymount strand in the Clontarf HM did something to my knee, as it started to hurt me on the sand on the return leg, then a week later on a long run the pain was much worse after only 12-15K. I went to a physio and he 'realigned' me and told me to take a few days off training, which I did but alas I am still sore and getting frustrated. I am icing it every evening and trying to avoid walking etc.

The joys of running......keep going with ur training, the HM under 2 hours will be no problem to you in a few weeks time!!

Thanks again for your input, smashier! Always good to get your perspective.

I'm a bit gutted, guys.. I know you're all right but I was really hoping I'd do this!

Hope your knee is rested and better by the time your HM comes around! :D

Thanks TRL,
    I am probably going to rest it for a week or two (maybe cycle a bit, no impact) and aim for another HM in Tullamore or the Dublin HM in September.

If all goes well and my knee doesn't explode between then and now I might run the gaunlet and go for the Full DCM at the end of October in 4hrs -4:30 hrs (never thought that I would write these words...yikes) !! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Good move, smashier! Definitely the right way to approach it.

Good luck with it all and rest that knee!

So bit of an update..

Feel better and went out today and did 21k in 2hrs. I was dying during it but I'm back on the horse! I think I'm going to attempt the run this day week.. sure what's there to lose?

Yeeeaaaahhh,
    Life is too short, you are probably right to give it a lash TRL! Just take it handy ish for the first 5-10K and see how you feel, it should be good craic, best of luck with it.....
    I am still crocked, I did 6.5K at the weekend after resting for a week with R.I.C.E on the right knee and had to stop after the niggle came back after 5-6K running on fresh cut grass!
    On a positive note, I think that I have found out that the root cause of my problem is actually my back/hip on the LHS (not my right knee at all). Back with my 'magic' physio on Wednesday afternoon to be re-aligned and 'the lame shall run again', hopefully at the weekend!

Enjoy the R&R HM buddy.

Advertisement