Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of lease, no place to go, what happens if I stay longer??

Options
  • 22-07-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Help needed.

the lease on my property is up very shortly and I have been unable to find somewhere to move my family to so far.

Does anyone know what will happen come move out date and we havent gone?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginty5

no unfortunately not, the landlord wants to sell the property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

How long have you rented this property?
    Has the landlord given you notice to quit?

Depending on these factors you could have 3-4 months left before your notice is up.
    Unfortunately its easier for a landlord to sell a vacant house, rather than to leave the tenants there.

i have rented for two years, yes the landlord did give me notice but that period is almost up.
    if i stay longer do you know what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Well id imagine relations with the landlord would get pretty terse for a start. I think it takes about a year for the bailiffs.
    I think your best bet is to get into threshold, if you live near Dublin make an appt with them, they know the ins and outs of the law.
    Other options: have you thought of downgrading accom size, Eg renting a 1 bed and sleeping on a pullout or futon? Myself and the ex did this for a year when the kids were small as we were both in low paying p/t jobs. Its not exactly tenement.
    Or move back with family?

• Advertisement

im already living in a one bed, its only me and one child so doable for a few years.
    as for moving back with family, unfortunately not an option as they no longer live in ireland.
    ive contacted threshold and am waiting a reply, hopefully they can shed some light on the matter
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I really dislike the tone of this thread. The landlord sounds to be acting within the law trying to sell one of his assets and there's talk of tying up his asset for a year because the system is broken.

I'm sorry you're in this situation OP but your landlord is not the government or social services, he is not responsible for providing you accommodation. It's completely unfair that you're considering illegally possessing his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I really do feel for you OP....can you get in touch with your local council to see if they can do anything for you or maybe even open up to your landlord and see if he'll let u stay longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

ginty5 wrote: »
    no unfortunately not, the landlord wants to sell the property

Hi OP
    If the landlord wants to sell perhaps you could negotiate an extension to the notce period while you continue to look for somewhere else.

I would imagine this would be on the condition of you agreeing to allow viewing of the property and moving out as soon as the sale is agreed.

Have you tried to talk to your landlord? I don't think just trying to stay is really an option to be honest.

Advertisement