Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio One Lebanon

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

So every day on Facebook I see my friends liking pages off Radio One Lebanon. Any reason why its popular over here or am I missing something? Seems odd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Do you have a lot of friends from Lebanon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is it in English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Do you have a lot of friends from Lebanon ?

Not one, nor do I have any army friends that have been there. Its random unconnected people liking stuff off the page
    kneemos wrote: »
    Is it in English?
    Yeah, has half a million likes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is it as good as radio Luxembourg?

They just rob content from other places like Reddit and 4chan so when facebook changed the home page content from you just seeing your mates chatting to you seeing pages that are liked/popular their posts just snowballed in popularity. I've rarely seen any original content.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    They just rob content from other places like Reddit and 4chan so when facebook changed the home page content from you just seeing your mates chatting to you seeing pages that are liked/popular their posts just snowballed in popularity. I've rarely seen any original content.

Yeah but how has it gotten popular is what I want to know, it seems fairly random

So I'm still none the wiser, there's also Virgin Radio Lebanon that has people liking their posts everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Trying to find out the latest updates on Israel-Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

They just repost lots of pics from reddit etc and seem to be particularly good at getting their name around on Facebook.
    As a side note, its a gas station to listen too, celeb gossip and yank accents, you would swear they were in LA or Miami not bleedin Beirut. Very 'aspirational'

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well using the medium of cat memes and videos of people falling over seems to be the best way to keep up

• Advertisement

Nah they've been popular before the current conflict and the stuff they seem to post is a world away from Gaza
    marketty wrote: »
    They just repost lots of pics from reddit etc and seem to be particularly good at getting their name around on Facebook.
    As a side note, its a gas station to listen too, celeb gossip and yank accents, you would swear they were in LA or Miami not bleedin Beirut. Very 'aspirational'

Very random that two radio stations from the Lebanon would get so popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Nah they've been popular before the current conflict and the stuff they seem to post is a world away from Gaza

Very random that two radio stations from the Lebanon would get so popular
    You're average Facebook user probably doesn't realise that it isn't the actual London counterpart.

I live close to a town that has a namesake in the states, you wouldn't believe the amount of local people that have the one in Iowa as their location.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

You're average Facebook user probably doesn't realise that it isn't the actual London counterpart.

I live close to a town that has a namesake in the states, you wouldn't believe the amount of local people that have the one in Iowa as their location.:pac:

How do people make that mistake? :pac: A lot of people I live near went to school at CBS television according to their Facebook pages. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There's a Coon Rapids in Donegal as well? :eek:

Did Facebook always have the location associated with the actual place? I know my facebook school is listed as in some random town in Ireland that I never heard of, same with about half my friends on it. But I'm nearly sure when I put in my school when I signed up for facebook that there wasn't an area associated with the school, and facebook has since associated it with that town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Anyone know how to block these from showing in your newsfeed? I've noticed them coming up at least 3-5 times a day recently. It's a weird coincidence that they're all from Lebanese radio stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Minjor wrote: »
    Anyone know how to block these from showing in your newsfeed? I've noticed them coming up at least 3-5 times a day recently. It's a weird coincidence that they're all from Lebanese radio stations.

I've seen this as well, for whatever reason it is nothing more than friends of friends of friends all liking/ sharing the same thing. As to who is the root promoter of two Arab radio stations to half of Ireland is, and why, I have no idea.

A similar thing happens with the fan page for Cleveland Brown (he of that appalling Cleveland Show), nobody I know likes the page yet memes and various other stuff from it keeps getting liked by dozens of friends.

Can you not just click the block button and it will stop them showing up?

I've seen this as well, for whatever reason it is nothing more than friends of friends of friends all liking/ sharing the same thing. As to who is the root promoter of two Arab radio stations to half of Ireland is, and why, I have no idea.

A similar thing happens with the fan page for Cleveland Brown (he of that appalling Cleveland Show), nobody I know likes the page yet memes and various other stuff from it keeps getting liked by dozens of friends.

AFAIK you can pay Facebook now to show more of your posts/show them more often.

Facebook in general has just got cluttered with inane rubbish lately. It used to just show your friends posts and photos and what not, now its full of stuff by third party sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe they thought it said "radio one lesbians"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's 200 Irish soldiers currently in Lebanon. Perhaps those 'liking' the page are friends or family members of those soldiers and use it to keep abreast of what's going on over there?

I blocked all the pages, seems to have stopped the pictures appearing.

I blocked all the pages, seems to have stopped the pictures appearing.

I've just deactivated facebook altogether

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    I've just deactivated facebook altogether

Good man.

Advertisement