Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fly Fishing

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Not many posts or threads here on the topic.

I follow Jim Hendrick on twitter and as one of the best bass angler's around, he swears by it!

I'd say the fight would be great..

Apparently becoming very popular in Ireland. Must get myself some saltwater fly gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It has come up a few times here before alright and we did a fly swap one time where one if the sets of flies to be tied was a saltwater fly.

I got myself a sw fly rod and reel. Its enjoyable alright. Have gotten pollock and mackerel. I've lots of learning to do tho. Especially if it came to targeting bass specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

SeaFields wrote: »
    It has come up a few times here before alright and we did a fly swap one time where one if the sets of flies to be tied was a saltwater fly.

I got myself a sw fly rod and reel. Its enjoyable alright. Have gotten pollock and mackerel. I've lots of learning to do tho. Especially if it came to targeting bass specifically

I'd imagine there's a bit of skill required targeting bass alright - getting the tide timing right and flies for the area etc.

Must definitely look into some sw fly gear. Not much point buying a cheapo set as it wouldn't last very long.

Good bit of info on the web, but probably best just to try it out as it's the only way to learn really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I got a Shakespeare 7-8 entry level sw rod. Has done the business so far. I think it was €70. I've a decent enough trout reel that was rated for saltwater too so it was just a case of putting a saltwater line on one of the spare spools and rinsing it in freshwater afterwards. I used some rainbow trout lures at the start but have built up a small collection of sw flies since. There are great videos on YouTube of guys at it all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

SeaFields wrote: »
    I got a Shakespeare 7-8 entry level sw rod. Has done the business so far. I think it was €70. I've a decent enough trout reel that was rated for saltwater too so it was just a case of putting a saltwater line on one of the spare spools and rinsing it in freshwater afterwards. I used some rainbow trout lures at the start but have built up a small collection of sw flies since. There are great videos on YouTube of guys at it all over Ireland.

That might be the way to go alright. Get something not too expensive to start, I can always upgrade later if I was going to take it serious. Shakespeare do good gear in this price range. €100 for a rod and reel should see me right!

I just put the search term into youtube there and there's loads of vids on it. Will take me a while to watch 'em all.

Looking forward to trying it out!

Advertisement