Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A silent GSM alarm system...

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi guys, firstly, know absolutely nothing about alarm systems or the ins and outs of them but I'm just looking for some information to see weather such a system exists already. I've done some research myself but couldn't conclusively come up with anything.

Basically I am looking for a sort of system which would detect the movement of a person (or creature) inside a premises through a motion sensor and then alert me by a text message through a gsm dialler attached. I would also have to be able to arm/ disarm the alarm through a series of text prompts as said premises is quite a considerable distance from my home.

Also most importantly the system would have to be silent, as the only person I want to notify would be me, as I don't want to scare off any unwanted guests as such.

Battery operation is also a bonus but not necessary as the premises does have access to electricity for most of the year, however it is switched off in the winter months to save costs.

I know this probably sounds like a strange request, the creatures in some cases could be humans, but in other cases animals,
    also, the system would have to be relatively inexpensive as, it's not necessary but rather part of a project...

Cameras are also not an option, area is too dark.

thanks in advance, sorry if this is not the right forum, but didn't really know where else to put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi guys, firstly, know absolutely nothing about alarm systems or the ins and outs of them but I'm just looking for some information to see weather such a system exists already. I've done some research myself but couldn't conclusively come up with anything.

Basically I am looking for a sort of system which would detect the movement of a person (or creature) inside a premises through a motion sensor and then alert me by a text message through a gsm dialler attached. I would also have to be able to arm/ disarm the alarm through a series of text prompts as said premises is quite a considerable distance from my home.

Also most importantly the system would have to be silent, as the only person I want to notify would be me, as I don't want to scare off any unwanted guests as such.

Battery operation is also a bonus but not necessary as the premises does have access to electricity for most of the year, however it is switched off in the winter months to save costs.

I know this probably sounds like a strange request, the creatures in some cases could be humans, but in other cases animals,
    also, the system would have to be relatively inexpensive as, it's not necessary but rather part of a project...

Cameras are also not an option, area is too dark.

thanks in advance, sorry if this is not the right forum, but didn't really know where else to put it.

Any system can be set up to send you a text of an activation.
    Something cheap would be a powermax complete system.
    You would need to disconnect a few speakers in the control panel but it would work.

Cameras can be day and night. I have some hik vision cameras installed in a dark nightclub and the picture is amazing considering how dark it does be.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

altor wrote: »
    Any system can be set up to send you a text of an activation.
    Something cheap would be a powermax complete system.
    You would need to disconnect a few speakers in the control panel but it would work.

Cameras can be day and night. I have some hik vision cameras installed in a dark nightclub and the picture is amazing considering how dark it does be.

Thanks for that... I'll go into a bit more details about the scenario, when I read back over my post it sounded a bit vague.

I'm looking for a system that would detect animals entering and exiting a shed. I know they are there, but what I want to find out is how often and through what time intervals they are there for be it hours, days weeks etc I know they are only there for short intervals.

That's when I thought a system like this could work as It would alert me whenever motion was detected. I could then disarm the alarm and rearm it sometime later allowing me to start over.
    the text messages would also allow me to keep a log, thus aiding me to analyse the data efficently.

Cameras that would work in dark conditions probably would work, but then I would have to go to the trouble of checking the cameras over a period of a couple of hours,

also as the shed is miles away from my house, I only get up there max once a week to a couple of times a month and not at all during the winter. to view the cameras from home, i'd need a stable internet connection at the shed, which I don't have, hence why I thought the texts may work better.

Not really home security, I know... but would be similar to a home security system.

Thanks for that... I'll go into a bit more details about the scenario, when I read back over my post it sounded a bit vague.

I'm looking for a system that would detect animals entering and exiting a shed. I know they are there, but what I want to find out is how often and through what time intervals they are there for be it hours, days weeks etc I know they are only there for short intervals.

That's when I thought a system like this could work as It would alert me whenever motion was detected. I could then disarm the alarm and rearm it sometime later allowing me to start over.
    the text messages would also allow me to keep a log, thus aiding me to analyse the data efficently.

Cameras that would work in dark conditions probably would work, but then I would have to go to the trouble of checking the cameras over a period of a couple of hours,

also as the shed is miles away from my house, I only get up there max once a week to a couple of times a month and not at all during the winter. to view the cameras from home, i'd need a stable internet connection at the shed, which I don't have, hence why I thought the texts may work better.

Not really home security, I know... but would be similar to a home security system.

I see but to be honest CCTV would work well in conjunction with the alarm. This would give you a timestamp plus you could view remotely without the need to go to the shed at all. You would need a dongle for internet access to allow this. It could also be set up for motion if you wanted to get an email on motion detection.

With the Risco Agility you could also set this up.
    Then you can request snapshots to remotely view your system plus get alarm activation and remote access through their App.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

• Advertisement
Advertisement