Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Health & Safety standards in rented house.

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

I live in a rented house with 4 others and just wanted to know what the craic is with fire hazards and all that.

This house has no fire extinguishers, fire blanket, fire alarms and no fire doors. I taught this was a requirement?

These are the type of doors fitted:
    10565082_10154338322070123_8551518783379786876_n.jpg

If all this stuff is supposed to be supplied and fitted what's the best way to go about getting it sorted without falling out with the Landlord?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Dont think fire doors are a requirement unless its multi living block/accomodation, you say this is a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yeah its just a 5 bed detached house. Obviously not a new build :P I reckon it was built in the 70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As far as I know extinguisher, blanket and alarm must be provided. I think a carbon monoxide alarm must be provided too.

As far as I know extinguisher, blanket and alarm must be provided. I think a carbon monoxide alarm must be provided too.

Cheers, thanks.

There is a carbon monoxide alarm but none of the others. Ill have to request them next time I see him.

I suppose while I'm here and without opening a can of worms are there any other compulsory items that should be included?

This LL doesn't really seem bothered to do much around the place. The interior of the house hadn't been painted for at least 3 years so me and another house mate done it ourselves at our own expense and we are only living here 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only a fire blanket and smoke alarm, nothing about CO alarm.

http://www.environ.ie/en/legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

Nope, a fire blanket and two smoke detectors
    carbon monoxide is recommended but not a must, certainly not an alarm or an extinguisher.

Just reading the link there and seen:
    (2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable
    area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:

(d) Microwave oven,

There was one here, it broke. Notified him about it and just fobbed us off. Would it be unreasonable to ask for this to be replaced?

Del2005 wrote: »

Whats the requirement for electrical or gas safety?
    Ive read in "documents" that preiodic inspection by a RECI contractor to certify an electrical installation is needed, but cant see it in the SI
    or anything about annual gas servicing, just kept in good working order.

Meaning if its not written in an SI then its not necessary?

I found it in the guidelines as above, but nothing in the SI's 534 of 2008, 462 of 2009, 22 of 2009.
    I even received a letter from the council which states the chimney should be cleaned, even though the tenant has only used it at Xmas, its still not in any of the SI's

The technical guidance document says if the inspector isnt satisfied with the compliance of an electrical or gas installation, but how would they be qualified to even make that determination? there is then nothing in the SI's about whats in the previously mentioned document at all under article 13, just a few lines, so does that mean the wording in the technical guidance document is unenforceable as its not the law, the SI's and the Acts are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Go out today ad purchase a few smoke detectors. They are only around a tenner.
    Your landlord should reimburse you, but you should not be sleeping in a shared house with no smoke alarms!

• Advertisement

He's coming up to fix the washing machine today but ill be at work so ill leave a note requesting 2 smoke alarms and a fire blanket be supplied and fitted.

I wont be purchasing anything for this house that I shouldn't have too. Paid enough for paint already and got no thanks for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

brembo26 wrote: »
    He's coming up to fix the washing machine today but ill be at work so ill leave a note requesting 2 smoke alarms and a fire blanket be supplied and fitted.

I wont be purchasing anything for this house that I shouldn't have too. Paid enough for paint already and got no thanks for it.
    How long have you been in the house?
    Do you have a fixed term lease for has that expired and you are on a Part 4 tenancy?
    Did you all sign the lease?

As regards the safety laws:
    Certain Safety Requirements
    Landlords must ensure the property wiring and electrical fittings are safe, Landlords have a responsibility under Statutory Instrument SI.534 of 2008 Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 (as amended 2009) to ensure that the gas and electrical installations in the dwelling shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order. The following will prove compliance with the Regulations:

Fire Safety for furniture

Under S.I. 316 of 1995 the Industrial Research and Standards (Fire Safety) (Domestic Furniture) Order 1995 anyone manufacturing, selling or repairing furniture in Ireland is obliged to ensure materials used (including foams, fillings, coverings and frames) comply with safety standards. Specifically, furniture must pass the ‘cigarette test’. This test proves that covers, foam and lining materials are not likely to go on fire by a lit match or a cigarette. All furniture passing this test should be clearly labelled to indicate that it complies with Irish fire safety laws.

Gas installations
    A current Declaration of Conformance certificate for an IS.813 Annex E inspection issued by a Registered Gas Installer for the gas installation in the house or apartment will prove compliance with the regulations.

Electrical installations
    Electrical: A current ETCI Periodic Inspection Report by a registered electrical contractor for the electrical installation in the house. The result of the tenancy inspection shall show a standard which requires that “no remedial work is required”.

A current ETCI Periodic Inspection Report by a registered electrical contractor for the electrical installation in the house will confirm that the electrical installation is safe and is usually valid for 5 years.

Oil Boiler/burner
    A qualified oil burner engineer should service and check the proper functioning of an oil burner once a year. A written service report should be supplied and will conform to the regulations as regards the safety of the unit.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors/alarms
    A house shall contain either a mains-wired smoke alarm or at least two 10-year self-contained battery-operated smoke alarms.

Fire Blanket and Fire Extinguisher
    Each self-contained dwelling in a multi-unit building shall contain a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket.

Although there is currently no requirement for a fire extinguisher in private rented accommodation (as opposed to a holiday let) it is considered a good precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zef wrote: »
    ou should not be sleeping in a shared house in any building with no smoke alarms!

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A smoke alarm saved our lives after an electrical fault started a fire in my house in Oct. I would not wish it on anyone.
    And especially in a shared house you don't know who is smoking in bed, or making a midnight snack, or lighting candles.
    I was really lucky in that insurance sorted out the house, took 3 months to rebuild, and put us up.
    Please buy a smoke alarm today. I had been living here 16 yrs and never thought my house would go up at 5am one random night.
    My ex sis in laws house went up a month later, faulty appliance in a brand new house. They got out too. Many don't.

How long have you been in the house?
    Do you have a fixed term lease for has that expired and you are on a Part 4 tenancy?
    Did you all sign the lease?

I have been in the house since Feb of this year. I am the second longest here bar 1 tenant who has been here sine the lease was issued in 2011.

The lease has been ongoing for 3 years. Basically when someone wanted to move out they just got someone else to replace them and then they would sign the lease on rent day. The lease I have signed has not been updated since 2011.

Yes we all signed the lease even though its all been at different times.

Advertisement