Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about a false positive :-(

Options
  • 21-07-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I did a pregnancy test on Friday and it was positive. Today heading into my forth week on Wens and I started spotting blood this morning, now like normal period including pain (moderate), had an app with the doctor this morning and he wouldn't test till I was 6weeks, so ive to go back again. He explained that it could have been a false positive and I lose the pregnancy that the egg didn't attach to the wall. He also said to go to the hospital if I have severe pain and bleeding incase its a miscarriage! Im confused though could I still be pregnant in a few weeks and the baby be fine! Has anyone experienced this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

cocoemma wrote: »
    I did a pregnancy test on Friday and it was positive. Today heading into my forth week on Wens and I started spotting blood this morning, now like normal period including pain (moderate), had an app with the doctor this morning and he wouldn't test till I was 6weeks, so ive to go back again. He explained that it could have been a false positive and I lose the pregnancy that the egg didn't attach to the wall. He also said to go to the hospital if I have severe pain and bleeding incase its a miscarriage! Im confused though could I still be pregnant in a few weeks and the baby be fine! Has anyone experienced this??

You still may be pregnant if it's settlement bleeding, or it could be a sign of a chemical pregnancy, where the egg does not properly attach to the lining, or it could be the beginning signs of a miscarriage.

Unfortunately so early on your doc is right, hard to say what is happening. If you are only 4 weeks and the doc will only confirm at 6, you could buy another OTC test to see if you are still showing pregnant, or find a doc who is willing to test earlier.

Best of luck, hopefully it goes the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Thanks :-( I might try a home test next week. Would you know how long the hcg hormone stays in your body? I imagine because it hasn't been long enough to get strong that it would be a couple of days? I never thought of asking the doctor that today -until- I got home!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

When are you due your period? If you are late or a couple days before period. try a "first response test". If you are four weeks thinking your period is prob due around about this time so a OTC pregnancy test should work. I always found the first response test the most responsive to show early pregnancy. If this is positive it would be highly unlikely to get two false positives. So yes you are pregnant.

However, as the previous poster said... The spotting and abdominal cramps could be a number of things. They could be implantation cramps and bleeding which means your pregnancy could be viable. Or unfortunately it could be the start of a miscarriage.

As I said you could wait to do another test or you could do one from when you are due your period. This will obviously tell you whether you got a false positive or not... However, unfortunately to know whether the pregnancy is viable or not is a waiting game. Hope you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Sorry to hear of your troubles op. A pregnancy test won't tell you too much at this stage as it could take a while for the hcg to leave your system. Is it possible to get your doctor to test your beta hcg levels? These are blood tests usually done 48 hours apart to see if the hcg is rising and if it's a viable pregnancy. This could be done now instead of dragging it out and making you wait 2 weeks to find out what's going on.

Thanks for the advice, I done a test a half an hour ago & its negative, I'll try again next week to be full sure as the line was very faint almost invisible!!!! At least I know now instead of waiting for two weeks!! Should I go back to the doctor anyway in two weeks?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, I done a test a half an hour ago & its negative, I'll try again next week to be full sure as the line was very faint almost invisible!!!! At least I know now instead of waiting for two weeks!! Should I go back to the doctor anyway in two weeks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd say it would be best to go to the Doctor as planned.

Mind yourself.

Advertisement