Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting S2 (and Rooting in General)

Options
  • 21-07-2014 7:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to learn a bit more about rooting. The articles on it seem to be for people who are fairly familiar with it at a basic level but this wouldn't be something I have done before.

I'm good with technology and would be confident with it but would appreciate pointers. Have an S2 & S4. One the articles I read said you needed to know the kernel but didn't show what part of the kernel information you need and where you go to pick the right package for that type of kernel. Another didn't need to know about it at all.

Would love to be given a beginners guide and then something to work up on it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Head over to modaco or xda developers and they should be able to set you up. I know sweet FA about kernels and such but I did manage to root the Huawei y300 (didn't flash a rom, just added some root-only apps) and there were plenty of alternative roms for me to choose. The S2 and S4 will be the same. I'd suggest you play with the S2 in case you brick it.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a Moto G as it's apparently done with a few clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I would try Framaroot.....a one-click apk solution!!!

XDA thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276

Latest apk....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1952450&d=1368232060

S2 is in the list of supported devices:
    Compatibility for Exynos devices (Sam, Frodo, Legolas and Aragorn exploits only) :
    AT&T Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317
    Highscreen Explosion
    Hyundai T10
    Hyundai T7s
    Impression 9702 (Exynos 4412)
    Lenovo K860/К860i
    Newman N2
    Meizu MX2
    Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC100
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000, GT-N8010, GT-N8013, GT-N8020
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE GT-N7105
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000

Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000

Samsung Galaxy S2 AT&T SGH-I777
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch - SPH-D710
    Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100

Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
    Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus GT-P6200/GT-P6210
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800/GT-P6810
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 SCH-i815
    Samsung SGH-i997 Infuse 4G
    T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 T-889
    Verizon Galaxy Note 2 SCH-I605
    iBerry Auxus CoreX2 3G and CoreX4 3G

There are also a couple of Chinese Root apps, which I could recommend and vouch for, they have worked for me.

My own favourite is vRoot...

so-called Root Master by the Chinese!!!!

It supports the 19100...

see here for details, and turn on Google Translate!!!

http://www.mgyun.com/FlashCourse/deviceid/25

You need to do this from your Laptop/PC, it does'nt have a one-click app for the phone....

Download vRoot English (although you will see lots of Chinese stuff, but it is obvious stuff......)

http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot

The English version may not be the latest, but it should not be a problem with the S2....

You will need to connect to the lap-top, via USB, so enable USB Debugging......

vRoot also should install drivers, if needed, and you will end up with a Chinese version of SuperSU, which can be updated with the one from Play.

Also, from Play, get root checker.

The one linked is just one of many, so pick whichever one you prefer!!!

Also, you probably should install Busybox, to give you more options and commands/scripts.....

This Busybox version is good and complete:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So I sat down to do this and it's showing Kernel versions that apparently look like this; 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKG1-CL349526

However, I haven't anything like that in my Kernel version.
    3.0.31-1402302
    dpi@DELL227#3
    SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 11 00:44:13 KST 2013

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Kernel version only matter to rooting in regards to cf root versions. IE KG1 you would get the kernel with KG1.
    What version stock rom are you on ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

4.1.2. No other updates available.

Lots of info here.
    Specicifially look for "Help! Which file do I use ?"

Ste- wrote: »
    Lots of info here.
    Specicifially look for "Help! Which file do I use ?"

Unless I am missing something - that's my problem. I'm not seeing any KG reference in my Kernel version.

My mistake read your post wrong, what's your baseband ?

Ste- wrote: »
    My mistake read your post wrong, what's your baseband ?

I9100XXMS3

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    4.1.2. No other updates available.

Sully, I know you are a Mod an all.....

but I put together quite an extensive post, with suggested rooting methods, which have been verified, and other information relating to one easy one-click rooting and another method form your Laptop/PC, including a root checker suggestion and a busybox installed package.

The least one would expect is an acknowledgement.

Sully, I know you are a Mod an all.....

but I put together quite an extensive post, with suggested rooting methods, which have been verified, and other information relating to one easy one-click rooting and another method form your Laptop/PC, including a root checker suggestion and a busybox installed package.

The least one would expect is an acknowledgement.

What difference would it make if I was a mod of another forum or not?

Sorry for not acknowledging your post, I thought I gave it a 'Thanks' like the posters before you but it would appear that I didn't for some reason! Much appreciated. I've been studying the first link and haven't done any other guides as of yet

Sully wrote: »
    What difference would it make if I was a mod of another forum or not?

Sorry for not acknowledging your post, I thought I gave it a 'Thanks' like the posters before you but it would appear that I didn't for some reason! Much appreciated. I've been studying the first link and haven't done any other guides as of yet

thanks for the thanks!!

I was not referencing another forum at all, just this one :)

enjoy!!!

thanks for the thanks!!

I was not referencing another forum at all, just this one :)

enjoy!!!

I'm not a mod of this forum :)

I'll be looking at your post and Ste- tomorrow to see if I can get my head around it at all. :)

Advertisement