Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushroom Fungus?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 5:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have this growing in the crevasses of my Snow Gum (a variety of Eucalyptus). Does anybody know what it is or if it will harm the tree or pets? btw the brown mark on the first one was caused by just touching it. It bruised very easily.
    315382.JPG

315383.JPG

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

looks like the slime mould Reticularia lycoperdon - it won't do any harm itself as it's not pathogenic, although its presence is indicative of rot...that crevice looks like the site of some minor damage? not known to be harmful to pets and if it is Reticularia, it will rapidly (couple of days) transform into a mass of spores that freely disperse and quickly disappear.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

looks like the slime mould Reticularia lycoperdon - it won't do any harm itself as it's not pathogenic, although its presence is indicative of rot...that crevice looks like the site of some minor damage? not known to be harmful to pets and if it is Reticularia, it will rapidly (couple of days) transform into a mass of spores that freely disperse and quickly disappear.

Thanks for reply. Those trees naturally have those crevices. Glad to hear it's not harmful in itself. I will watch to see what happens it. It has a lovely mushroom smell when touched.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement