Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for what?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out the "done thing" when organising a wedding. What would you consider usual (I realise there's quite a variety) for the bride/groom to pay for.

Bridesmaids/Groomsmen
    - accomodation for all nights? ( eg. night before and night after also?)

Parents of the bride/groom
    - suits/dresses (plus shoes?)
    - accomodation (night before and night after also?)

Brothers/Sisters of bride/groom (excl bridesmaids/groomsmen)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Shedite27 wrote: »

Never heard of buying the Mothers dresses tbh?? That's a new one on me

Fathers would usually be dressed by the same people who are supplying the Groom / Groomsmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bridesmaids/Groomsmen

We are having one of each, well pay for them to stay over the night of the reception, bridesmaid will be staying with me in my boyfriends house the night before and will get ready from there. Groomsman is my OHs brother, and they'll be staying in his parents.

Parents pay for their own stuff, I'm sure. Can't even imagine them letting us pay for their outfits/accomodation

My brother will get his own suit and shoes and if he decides to stay that night, he'll be paying for his own room.

OHs other brother will be the same, pay for himself.

We will pay for bridesmaids dress, shoes, jewellery and hair. Ill do all the beauty stuff in the lead up to the wedding, waxing, tinting, facials, exfoliations, tans, nails. The morning of the wedding she will be doing her own makeup.

It's going to be a small reception and no afters, so whoever is invited will be invited to whole day. There will be as much wine as can be drank there for the guests and there'll be one round to toast, after that then everyone can buy their own.

Won't be subsidising any rooms either, whoever wants to stay can stay and pay for themselves.

My OH wants a shots cart as well as the candy cart. I'm not sure about that, is that even legal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Paying for bridesmaids dresses, shoes, hair etc and groomsmen's suits. Not paying for their rooms.

Paying for the fathers suits as they are being rented with the groomsmen's suits. Not paying for mother's outfits and I've never heard of it being done either. Their rooms are complimentary as part of the package.

Non bridal party brothers and sisters. Not paying for anything and it would never occur to me either. They pay for their stuff at my wedding, I pay when they get married and it all works out the same in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cheers, yeah all answers pretty much as I expected, just wanted to be sure. None of my or OH's family have been married yet, nor have we been bridesmaids/groomsmen so just wanted to check etiquette.

Our wedding is bout 150k from both familes houses so everyone will be staying away from home for 3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Trying to figure out the "done thing" when organising a wedding. What would you consider usual (I realise there's quite a variety) for the bride/groom to pay for.

Bridesmaids/Groomsmen

Only if you can afford it, we are not covering accommodation

nope!

Nope!

Dress the bridal party, after that it's all up to yourselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement