Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not renewing a 1-year lease

Options
  • 21-07-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi All

I am a landlord and my present tenants are in the middile of their 1 year lease. When their lease is up i want to move into the property myself and put the property on the market. I am just wondering how much notice i need to give my tenants that i will not be renewing the lease. They havent given me any idication yet they will or wont want to renew but i would like to be fair to them.

I read that I should give it in writing and minimum 35 days notice. is this correct. even though i am not asking them to leave before their lease is up

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Considering the state of the rental market it would be nice if you gave them as much notice as possible and you were flexible on them leaving if they do find a place before the lease is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭guydub

I was thinking of giving them at least 2 months notice. should i give it to them in writing aswell as meeting them in person

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yup, give them written notice to cover yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I would to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Yup, give them written notice to cover yourself.
    Not forgetting that they are entitled to stay for a total of 4 years without signing any new lease.

Under your fixed term lease, I presume that you do not have a clause allowing you to break the lease if one of the Part 4 grounds are applicable. Therefore, any Notice of Termination may not be applicable before the Fixed term has expired. That is, you could serve a Notice of Termination citing the grounds that you require the property for your own use and that you intend to sell the property and the NoT expires, say the first day after the Part 4 comes into being by itself.

As a previous poster has said, give two months notice if possible. This could be done in written form as an advice with the NoT being the legal document served at the appropriate time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It be best to do soon as things could be made very difficult as they will be part4 at the end and if a family it could take a year or more to get them out.

There are loads of bad and good news stories but you should let them know so they will have plenty of time to find a new place and offer a good reference and that to keep the deal if one can be met sweeter.

You have grounds to end the tenancy if the house is for sale or you need for yourself/family. But you must follow with written notice with and this can be done while the tenants are in a tenancy.

Advertisement