Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia update to 8.1 - error 8018830f ?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi

I recently joined the Nokia Developers program just to be able to get the windows mobile update 8.1. When I have tried to update my Nokia mobile 625 I have repeatedly gotten the error message "The update was downloaded but couldn't be opened (8018830f)".

I read in the various internet forums that you should change the language to something else, clear the cache, increase free memory etc. and try again. I did tall but to no avail.

Do any of the clever Boards mobile Guru's know of any solution or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Clearlyn
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I think you may have to resort to a hard reset of the phone and then try again. I presume you have all your photos backed up to OneDrive? Your text messages will download again as soon as you sign in with your Microsoft Account.

I had no issues updating my Lumia 625 with the Dev Preview. How much space do you have in Storage Sense? That "Others" folder really is most deceptive, and you might not have as much free space as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearlyn2

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I think you may have to resort to a hard reset of the phone and then try again. I presume you have all your photos backed up to OneDrive? Your text messages will download again as soon as you sign in with your Microsoft Account.

I had no issues updating my Lumia 625 with the Dev Preview. How much space do you have in Storage Sense? That "Others" folder really is most deceptive, and you might not have as much free space as you think.

Czarcasm , thanks for responding

I am fully backed up on one drive ,thanks for checking

After your comment on "Others" folder I noted that it has 940mb of presumably temporary files. however I am not so sure how to release memory in this folder , any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

My 625 has updated to the latest version, do you need the Dev program now?

clearlyn2 wrote: »
    Czarcasm , thanks for responding

I am fully backed up on one drive ,thanks for checking

After your comment on "Others" folder I noted that it has 940mb of presumably temporary files. however I am not so sure how to release memory in this folder , any ideas?

I don't think you can actually release memory in the Others folder, but I'm guessing you have at least 1GB free space on your phone anyway, which should have been enough to allow the update to install.

I don't know if there's much else you can do besides a hard reset and then download the update. You could be messing around with it all night otherwise, and the update takes about two hours to completely install on your phone.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I don't think you can actually release memory in the Others folder, but I'm guessing you have at least 1GB free space on your phone anyway, which should have been enough to allow the update to install.

I don't know if there's much else you can do besides a hard reset and then download the update. You could be messing around with it all night otherwise, and the update takes about two hours to completely install on your phone.

ok all seems to point to a factory reset.However there are many reports on other forums that that problem remains after the reset. I think its astonishing that Nokia does not address this common error!
    thank for you help/suggestion's if you think of anything else please post

• Advertisement

Hi clearyn,

You could also try the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to completely reset your phone and install a fresh software image of Windows Phone 8, then install the Dev Preview app and try go from there -

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

bidiots wrote: »
    My 625 has updated to the latest version,.....

Ditto.

No dev program member or other malarkey. Just a message one day that it was ready to download.

Has not resolved any of the issues that I've encountered. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

0lddog wrote: »
    Ditto.

No dev program member or other malarkey. Just a message one day that it was ready to download.

Has not resolved any of the issues that I've encountered. :(

What issues?

Czarcasm you advice gave me confidence to use the Nokia software recovery tool. I did a fresh install this morning and the phone immediately commence downloading 8.1. NO errors were encountered it magically downloaded first time.

Many thanks for all your advice and support.

Advertisement