Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco-friendly furniture

Options
  • 21-07-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all - does anyone know where I would find eco friendly (i.e. non toxic finishes) furniture in Ireland? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The most eco friendly furniture is that which has already been built and transported, e.g. second hand - eliminating materials and fuel usage. The paint/varnish is all but irrelevant of you're shipping newly felled Brazilian timber to China then back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean and, of course, I do care about the resources needed to make and transport the furniture, but my concern is off-gassing from the materials used to make and finish the furniture. I'd rather not expose my family and myself to polluted indoor air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Paulbeth wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean and, of course, I do care about the resources needed to make and transport the furniture, but my concern is off-gassing from the materials used to make and finish the furniture. I'd rather not expose my family and myself to polluted indoor air.
    Use old furniture- all off-gassing finished and fewer resources etc
    2 birds with one stone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's personal environment rather than "eco friendly" you want then. Older furniture will have long since ceased off-gassing anyway. The overall environmental damage of the new furniture is a lot higher than that caused by any coatings.

The only issue you're likely to have is the vile smell of memory foam and synthetic rubber (blackout curtain backing) when new; pretty much any wood treatments/coatings are extremely low volatility these days anyway.

Right. Thanks again. Yes, selfishly I suppose, it's my personal environment that concerns me. From the little bit of research I've done, it seems that the safest place to live is outdoors, given all the concerns about floors, furniture, cabinets, etc. that contain harmful chemicals. I'll try the second hand furniture route.

One more thing, does anyone know about off-gassing from laminate floors? They've been down for the past three years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Have you checked for radon BTW? It is probably worse than off-gassing.

fash wrote: »

No probably about it; and something we seem to ignore as a risk here.

fash wrote: »

I haven't, although I did do this some years ago in a different house - same general area - and results were ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I haven't, although I did do this some years ago in a different house - same general area - and results were ok.

Thats irrelevant. If your house has no venting to let the radon out, there is a risk of radon in your house. Plus your last house may have been on a different bed rock to your new one. Dont forget a carbon monoxide alarm.

There is no point worrying about a few chemicals that may or may not cause cancer off some tables. When there maybe be cancer causing radon in your house or a dodgy boiler that might give you carbon monoxide poisoning and kill you

Advertisement