Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servicing

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a hybrid bike that's about 8 months old.

I honestly did not have a chance to bring it back to the shop for a free service. ( they offered this free service after 6-8 weeks )

There is nothing outwardly wrong with the bike, but I just want to get it checked over. its done only about 800 KM

Can anyone recommend a place around, Ringsend, Sandymount, Ranleagh, Rathmines etc to service a bike.

On average, how much would a service cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Recommend ThinkBike in Rathmines, been taking my bikes there for a few years now. www.thinkbike.ie
    Price depends on what you get done, if you need to get brake blocks, cables, replaced. Should be around €40.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

QueensGael wrote: »
    Recommend ThinkBike in Rathmines, been taking my bikes there for a few years now. www.thinkbike.ie
    Price depends on what you get done, if you need to get brake blocks, cables, replaced. Should be around €40.

Thanks very much.

Based on the age of my bike ( 8 months ) and the KMs done ( 800 KM ) what kind of a service would I need ?
    I haven't abused it and looked after it well, no jumping off foot paths, no rough terrain etc

I dont know anything about bicycle servicing ( In fact I dont even know if its a valid word in the cycling world :))

I think I just need the brake cables tightened maybe ( again dont know if this is something thats done ) and a quick look at gears I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you haven't adjusted the gears since you got the bike then the cables have likely stretched - which is normal when new - and your gears probably need re-indexing.

Brake cables will similarly stretch. I doubt you've worn down the pads at all if you've only done 800km on the bike.

Both those adjustments are very minor - especially the brakes one. Videos for both on youtube. The gears one is easy enough with a bit of practice but is initially a little tricky.

Everything else should be fine after only 800km.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

quozl wrote: »
    If you haven't adjusted the gears since you got the bike then the cables have likely stretched - which is normal when new - and your gears probably need re-indexing.

Brake cables will similarly stretch. I doubt you've worn down the pads at all if you've only done 800km on the bike.

Both those adjustments are very minor - especially the brakes one. Videos for both on youtube. The gears one is easy enough with a bit of practice but is initially a little tricky.

Everything else should be fine after only 800km.

excellent reply.

Id rather just bring it to a place.

So sounds like my above service is fairly minor, is there such a thing as brining it to a place and just getting a "minor " service " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

So sounds like my above service is fairly minor, is there such a thing as brining it to a place and just getting a "minor " service " ?

Yep, just bring it to your local bike shop and ask for a tune-up or basic service - my local shop do it for €20.

• Advertisement
Advertisement