Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC went bang

Options
  • 21-07-2014 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭

My brother was playing away on his PC last night when it just cut power and dropped.

There's a smell of bruning inside it. I've opened it up and can't see any physical damage, and suspect the failure is with the PSU. Both the PSU and the GPU were incredibly hot when the PC was opened.

I'm wondering what the chances are that other components in the machine are Donald Ducked as a result of the PSU going like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Most PSU are designed to fail and take one for the team, rather than fail and take everything with it!

Hopefully the output protection stage did it's job and it didnt output too much of a surge.

Is the case air flow restricted...dusty, lots of cables ect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Was the GPU unusually hot, or could boil water hot - that's how hot some of them get - hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Airflow isn't great, but I wouldn't say it is poor either. The GPU was hot to touch, but not so hot that you would burn yourself on it. I know GPUs do tend to run hot (He has a 660 GTX), so I'm not overly concerned with the GPU's temp.

Any recommendations on how I could test the PSU? I don't really want to plug it in to the wall and try and boot incase it makes things worse.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Airflow isn't great, but I wouldn't say it is poor either. The GPU was hot to touch, but not so hot that you would burn yourself on it. I know GPUs do tend to run hot (He has a 660 GTX), so I'm not overly concerned with the GPU's temp.

Any recommendations on how I could test the PSU? I don't really want to plug it in to the wall and try and boot incase it makes things worse.

A voltage meter but if something went pop I'd be replacing the PSU even if it did still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Bepolite wrote: »
    A voltage meter but if something went pop I'd be replacing the PSU even if it did still work.

Without a doubt, but I just don't even know if the PSU is the cause of the issue. It certainly felt like and smelt like it was!

I'm just concerned he'll have lost his motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu and/or hdd as a result.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Without a doubt, but I just don't even know if the PSU is the cause of the issue. It certainly felt like and smelt like it was!

I'm just concerned he'll have lost his motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu and/or hdd as a result.

The only way to know is a new PSU really. I had the same thing happen, ended up buying a crap PSU to test, other components indeed fecked, then ended up having to buy another (decent) PSU. I'd just buy a decent PSU to start with now and then get the other bits if needed.

A friend with a rig you can try bit out in would be one way, or borrow a PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

If you smelt burning then something has melted , I'd very carefully open up , or look into the PSU and see if you can find any damage , inspect all the caps on the motherboard and GPU and make sure none of them show signs of overloading.

I've had power boxes go before , if you turn it on and something has melted / shorted through it'll probably blow a fuse in the house, and perhaps other components too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What make is the PSU?

Advertisement