Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell the bank the mortgage is buy to let or second home?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 2 bed apartment, which I may or may not let out and may or may not use as a holiday home or even do both over the life of ownership (the indecisiveness issue is long story). I have a 25% deposit, and means to repay based on a long savings history, and am currently paying an existing mortgage in an accelerated fashion. My spouse and I are full time permanent, one public service, one private sector, both with 16 years with current employers, and have no other debt. As I am about to apply for a.mortgage, I wanted some opinion on whether I declare myself as a buy to let or 2nd home applicant. Would appreciate thoughts on which way to go to maximise possibilities of getting the mortgage, minimising the decision time and/or getting the best rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You would need to be gold standard in order to get a mortgage for a second home, as in very high wages and a low enough PPR mortgage. I'd imagine you would need greater than 25% deposit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

If u tell them its buy to let they may put you on a commercial rate which is higher rate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Go with a different lender.
    Tell them that you are going to rent the number 1 house and use the number 2 house as your PPR.
    Rates for BTL are much higher than PPR .

Advertisement