Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap rent for Dublin?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey,

I am on an jobbridge internship, so I currently "earn" €238 a week.

I currently live with 2 other people paying very cheap rent (€200 a month), but I pay for a good chunk of the bills as well (ESB is normally €300 bi-monthly as well as a €100 UPC bill that I pay).

I might be kicked out soon and have been looking at other places to rent. I live in Clonsilla and commute into town, but was hoping that renting in town, I could regain the costs of the commute and also not be paying as much for bills etc.

Even taking that into account, the very few places I can find are €400 a month, this works well If I dont factor in bills etc, but some places are shared rooms etc.

I could easily live in a box room, but there are not really anything like that in town. I have been mainly looking at rent.ie for options but if anyone can help me with alternatives please let me know.

Kai.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Box rooms are associated with stairs so they tend to be a house thing rather than apartments. Most of the city centre accommodation is apartments.

Your budget is tiny, I'm surprised you can even rent for so little in Clonsilla. Your big problem is that hundreds if not thousands of low budget accommodation units were declared illegal due to shared bathroom facilities. This took a large part of the supply out of the system. There is an accommodation shortage in Dublin, particularly at the lower end. Your best chance is in the suburbs.

Oh and ditch the UPC bill, it looks like a luxury you can't afford right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Found some better offers on Gumtree, but its a matter of a deposit.

I have been focusing on the City Center but will start from the commuting route from Hansfield to the Docklands, should open up more options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

With that budget, just forget about it. You will have to say in the suburbs(or further)

I mean, I have a monthly income of just under 3k and I live with my parents in the suburbs, still haven't found a nice apartment in the city centre for non-crazy money.

Also, sorry about the JobsBridge internship. Can you name and shame the employer who is using the scheme?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

With that budget, just forget about it. You will have to say in the suburbs(or further)

I mean, I have a monthly income of just under 3k and I live with my parents in the suburbs, still haven't found a nice apartment in the city centre for non-crazy money.

Also, sorry about the JobsBridge internship. Can you name and shame the employer who is using the scheme?

Name and shame them for what exactly?

Im not after an apartment, just a roof over my head! Gumtree is showing some good results, €200 for a room bills included and 15 minutes from my internship. If I name the place wont this thread get shut down?

I literally just need a room, and the feeling of security. All I do when I come home is on the PC anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I was thinking the exact same thing.. Whats wrong with the JobBridge scheme?

Fair enough. Sorry, I am just taking the thread off topic.
    I can't really offer advice, I have never been in your kind of position, best of luck though.

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing.. Whats wrong with the JobBridge scheme?

It is morally wrong to 'employ' someone and have them doing work for your business/profit and then have them only making €238, which as the thread demonstrates makes fulfilling your basic need for housing extremely difficult. If possible, I would rather not support such a company.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It is morally wrong to 'employ' someone and have them doing work for your business/profit and then have them only making €238, which as the thread demonstrates makes fulfilling your basic need for housing extremely difficult. If possible, I would rather not support such a company.
    It's a Govt initiative open to every company in Ireland; yes it may be open to abuse but it is not within the remit of this forum.
    It's also quite the norm amongst American companies to have interns working without a wage in order to gain experience and get their foot in the door. There are a lot of US companies using the Job bridge schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Kai123 wrote: »
    Im not after an apartment, just a roof over my head! Gumtree is showing some good results, €200 for a room bills included and 15 minutes from my internship. If I name the place wont this thread get shut down?

I literally just need a room, and the feeling of security. All I do when I come home is on the PC anyway.

Are you sure that's a monthly figure? You wouldn't get a hostel for that

• Advertisement

It's a Govt initiative open to every company in Ireland; yes it may be open to abuse but it is not within the remit of this forum.

I think any use of it is abuse, I'm not talking about the publicised 'abuses' we hear about. If someone is working for you, you pay them a living wage. That's one of the reasons I became disillusioned with my startup and ultimately let it close shop- I didn't want to be part of the devaulation of labour, which undeniably happens in certain circles, it's all about getting as much free labour as possible.
    It's also quite the norm amongst American companies to have interns working without a wage in order to gain experience and get their foot in the door. There are a lot of US companies using the Job bridge schemes.

Yes, I know, and that is why I have no interest in visiting or working in America, I find its corporate culture disgusting and I want to have the atlantic ocean between me an it. I also do not want to see that toxic culture infect Ireland, though it is almost certainly too late for that now.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Really surprised at the size of your energy bills particularly for this time of year. How many people are sharing with. My last bi-monthly energy bill was for €90 between two of us and was overestimated by €15. I have all the normal utilities like television and internet too.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you sure that's a monthly figure? You wouldn't get a hostel for that

Maybe your right, will check a few and see if its weekly or monthly. If its monthly then in screwed!

As for the bills, I'm a generous guy :) without going into too much explanation, girlfriend issues.

Advertisement