Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 pin + 6 pin pci-e connectors

Options
  • 20-07-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just recently getting back into pc gaming and decided to upgrade my system. Will be doing this in two stages due to budget.

First will be an SSD and graphics card, then will be getting a cpu, mobo and ram.

Im looking at the Asus R9 280 (non X) 3gb but i notice that it requires both an 8 pin and 6 ping PCI-E power connectors.

My PSU (Corsair TX650W) has x2 6+2 pin connectors. Will these be ok to use on the card?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yep will be fine that's exactly what the +2 commectors are for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

6+2pin is the same as an 8pin, so you're grand as long as the psu can supply enough juice to it, but yours will be grand, my 620w psu ran an r9 290 no problem.

i actually just bought a bequiet 1000w psu and the gpu power cables are still all 6+2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Yep, they're fine, when they say 8pin they mean 6+2pin, don't think I've ever seen an 8pin connector tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

ah brilliant thanks for all the replies lads. thats great news i was worrying i was gonna needa new PSU which would not fit into my budget :)

Advertisement