Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV kit (advice)

Options
  • 20-07-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

The time has come for us to fit a CCTV in our house (wont go in to details). We live in a 3B SD house and was thinking of getting a setupp with 3 IP cameras with a NVR set-up. We will be moving home in just under 2 years so it is important for me to be able to refit the system in the new place. I dont know much about CCTV but ws wondering what your thoughts were on this set-up: here
    I think the same seller is selling on amazon too. Here
    If I were to purchase one of these kits, how much would a good installer charge to fit it? Is it a better approach to go with a visible or (as much as possible) hidden cameras
    Any advice hugeluy appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

hi regedit, each licenced security company will vary in charging for an installation. Best bet is to ring a couple different companies in your area for quotes and even have a free site survey for the camera locations. The private security authority website will have a list of local installers for you. If you do decide to move, you can relocate the camera's, new cabling will be required in the new house though. Personally I think it's better to have the camera's visible as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

hi regedit, each licenced security company will vary in charging for an installation. Best bet is to ring a couple different companies in your area for quotes and even have a free site survey for the camera locations. The private security authority website will have a list of local installers for you. If you do decide to move, you can relocate the camera's, new cabling will be required in the new house though. Personally I think it's better to have the camera's visible as a deterrent.

Thanks for the advice Lyncher2014. taken on-board.
    Any advice on the kit from the supplied link?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

Hi, I'm looking to set up a cctv system over time. 4 vandalproof dome cameras, 2TB DVR.

My house is getting renovated now so when the sparks is in I'm getting him to first fit the wiring, eventually Ill buy the cameras and DVR.
    In terms of DVR I've been looking at Storage Options Home Guard and Swann systems. Looking at the same brands for Cameras and also Revez on Satworld.ie which seem to be good spec and value.

Anyone have advice on the best products to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Hi regedit,

That add is abit misleading as the model number of the camera is actually one of the bullet cameras on the side of the box as apposed to the dome type. The kit itself is an entry level system and im not sure if I am reading it right, but I don't think it comes with a HDD even. it just says it supports up to.

Hi mccarrd2,

If youre thinking of having your house wired for a cctv system, have the cables meeting up in the attic. its just to provide a bit of protection for the DVR in case someone decides to go looking for any recordings. Also consider wiring to have a spot monitor in place somewhere throughout the house to view the cameras. Those brands you mentioned are entry level and you get what you pay for. I'd stay away from any gear from the likes of maplins. I have replaced more swann systems than I have installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

regedit wrote: »
    The time has come for us to fit a CCTV in our house (wont go in to details). We live in a 3B SD house and was thinking of getting a setupp with 3 IP cameras with a NVR set-up. We will be moving home in just under 2 years so it is important for me to be able to refit the system in the new place. I dont know much about CCTV but ws wondering what your thoughts were on this set-up: here
    I think the same seller is selling on amazon too. Here
    If I were to purchase one of these kits, how much would a good installer charge to fit it? Is it a better approach to go with a visible or (as much as possible) hidden cameras
    Any advice hugeluy appreciated.
    Those prices are more than what I've paid for 4 HD Cameras INCLUDING installation. There was a special offer at the time, with two additional cameras on a 2 camera kit. I think the harddrive is 1TB.. possibly 2TB but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

PeteK* wrote: »
    Those prices are more than what I've paid for 4 HD Cameras INCLUDING installation. There was a special offer at the time, with two additional cameras on a 2 camera kit. I think the harddrive is 1TB.. possibly 2TB but I'm not sure.

Have you got the exact spec?

Proper HD doesn't come cheap and would certainly need more than 1 or 2 TB of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Have you got the exact spec?

Proper HD doesn't come cheap and would certainly need more than 1 or 2 TB of storage.

I can get them next time I'm back at the house.
    I kept the boxes they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

PeteK* wrote: »
    I can get them next time I'm back at the house.
    I kept the boxes they used.

Cheers.

Advertisement