Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

i5-3570K @4ghz with 1.080V?

• 20-07-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

So I am currently overclocking my 3570K, because DayZ and Arma 3 performance isn't great. I am wondering if 1.080V is okay with 4ghz, my aim is 4.2ghz, would I be able to do 4.2 on 0.005 offset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭game4it70

If you have an aftermarket cooler you should reach 4.2ghz without any worries but i doubt you will only need 0.005 offset.I'd say a little more than that but its just a lottery as to how much volts you will need.
    Even with the stock intel cooler you should be ok if you have decent case airflow.

1.080V is very low so no need to worry.just keep an eye on temps with the likes of hwinfo

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ronan Ferry

I've been running Prime95 the past 45 minutes with 4.2GHz on the core with 1.098V. Offset is still 0.005. I'm getting 68-70C with the temperatures, it's been stable so far. How much should I increase the offset to even if I need to?

Edit: I also have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as my cooler.
    Update: The temperature is at 78-80c now on prime95, since no game will stress the CPU like prime95 does should I worry about that? Temperaturs will be lower obviously in game.

Those temps are fine for prime and as you say games won't cause that amount of heat.
    I will say the temps look a little high for that vcore though.

If you need to increase vcore do it in small increments and keep an eye on temps.

Well since it's summer here my temperatures have risen about 10c or so, should lower in the winter.
    So is 1.098 natural for a 3570K at 4.2ghz or should I be worried?

No need to be worried as imo its low vcore for 4.2.
    Some chips run hotter than others at the same volts,its just the way intel made them.

• Advertisement

Alright, prime95 has been running for 2 hours now and I've had no instablity issues. The temperature seems to go from 70c to 80c then back down again.

How long should I leave prime95 run for?

People have very different opinions on how long to run tests for or to even bother.Some just play games and do day to day stuff to test stability.
    I'm very fussy and would run prime for at least 12hrs but i'd say try some games or encode a video to see how you get on.

If you own battlefield 4 play that as it seems to find unstable oc's quickly.

Do I need to worry about any other settings in the BIOS?

Sorry i didnt reply.
    Not really for a 4.2ghz oc.

If you decide to go higher there are lots of guides out there.If you google your mobo and oc guide you will find something.Its best that way as different boards call some settings by different names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I have a 3570k & hyper 212 evo running at 4.2ghz and all i changed was the multiplier, didn't touch the voltage or any other settings.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I have a 3570k & hyper 212 evo running at 4.2ghz and all i changed was the multiplier, didn't touch the voltage or any other settings.

Which means the vcore is on auto.Thats not great as most mobos will overvolt the vcore higher than whats required for the particular oc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

game4it70 wrote: »
    Which means the vcore is on auto.Thats not great as most mobos will overvolt the vcore higher than whats required for the particular oc.

What danger is there from this method? Earlier i ran a half hour of prime95 and the max temp was 68c so temps are good. MB is asrock z77 pro3.

It just can use more vcore than needed and it can overvolt it by alot sometimes.With your temps your fine from the looks of it.

I've had asrock boards that would give it 1.4v and upwards when it only needing 1.25v for a stable clock.That was with higher overclocks though.

Advertisement