Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please explain

Options
  • 20-07-2014 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Can someone please tell me when dual end of line resistors are used and when single end of line resistors are used?? I've seen alto (I think that's the correct name) diagrams but I still don't understand the reason for using resistors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It provides better security when dual end of line resistors are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

If using resistors, the alarm panel will look for a certain resistance on each zone. Whereas if it's just wired in with no resistors in place, the zone could easily be bypassed and the panel thinks the zone is still in a full circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 questiins

Thanks for the replys. I've one other thing I need to no. On a door contact should it be wired in eol (just one resistor) seen as it doesn't have a tamper switch. Also if someone could post a few diagrams regarding wiring contacts and shock sensor in eol and dual end of line that would be great. Also am I correct saying that a PIR which has 2 resistors is dual end of line. So looking at that does dual mean 2 resistors and eol means just one resistor. Again thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

questiins wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. I've one other thing I need to no. On a door contact should it be wired in eol (just one resistor) seen as it doesn't have a tamper switch. Also if someone could post a few diagrams regarding wiring contacts and shock sensor in eol and dual end of line that would be great. Also am I correct saying that a PIR which has 2 resistors is dual end of line. So looking at that does dual mean 2 resistors and eol means just one resistor. Again thanks for all the help.

This should help.
    The front door can still be wired using dual end of line.
    Use one leg of the resistor on to the cable and screwed into a spare terminal.

Ok thank you. On the diagram sent the second row right hand side says additional wire needed, so where does that cable go. It comes out on a yellow across a resistor and back either on the black or red. It shows black and red going into the same terminal on the panel. This is the part throwing me. Also do the resistors only go in to the last sensor on the line? A detailed explanation would be excellent. One other thing, why or what would be wired as normally open. Thank

• Advertisement

Ok thank you. On the diagram sent the second row right hand side says additional wire needed, so where does that cable go. It comes out on a yellow across a resistor and back either on the black or red. It shows black and red going into the same terminal on the panel. This is the part throwing me. Also do the resistors only go in to the last sensor on the line? A detailed explanation would be excellent. One other thing, why or what would be wired as normally open. Thank

This should explain it better.

Yeah thats perfect sense, so then back at the panel I'm just connecting red and black, not a blue. My gran had some cowboy install an alarm and nothing seems to work as it should. For example when you close a window with a contact on it, the alarm goes off but if the window is open you can set the alarm as normal. I've looked it up and seem like it's been done normally open going closed instead of normal closed going open.

Yeah thats perfect sense, so then back at the panel I'm just connecting red and black, not a blue. My gran had some cowboy install an alarm and nothing seems to work as it should. For example when you close a window with a contact on it, the alarm goes off but if the window is open you can set the alarm as normal. I've looked it up and seem like it's been done normally open going closed instead of normal closed going open.

Thats correct.
    What system did he install?

It's hkc, well that's what the key pad says in it. Thanks for all your help I'm going to try my best to get it working for her. Think she paid crazy money as well.

It's hkc, well that's what the key pad says in it. Thanks for all your help I'm going to try my best to get it working for her. Think she paid crazy money as well.

It sounds to me like there may be a cross over on a cable. I would disconnect every thing on that zone and check the cores on the cable first.

• Advertisement

When was this system installed?

Ok I'll do that first. The system was done about a month ago but my gran only told us recently that it never worked properly.

Ok I'll do that first. The system was done about a month ago but my gran only told us recently that it never worked properly.

Has the installer got a PSA licence? If not that is a good place to start if he does not sort this out.
    If he is licenced then ask him for a EN50131 certificate which should have been given to your grandmother anyway. Here again if that system is faulty and he is not following it up then air your concerns with his auditing company.

If the system is in a month I would get the installer back.
    Do not go at it yourself as you could void any warranty. If you do have issues with him then I would follow Kubs advice and get on to the PSA and his certification body.

The problem is he wont answer his phone, and the box on the front of the house doesn't have a name, nor is their any flashing lights. We just want to get the alarm working as been a few breakins lately around her house and she is on her own. Not an ideal situation.

Alto in your diagram you sent their is a blue cable in spare/reed, so back at the panel should their be black and blue in one terminal and red on it's own?? Also is that blue where did come from, stupid question I no.

The problem is he wont answer his phone, and the box on the front of the house doesn't have a name, nor is their any flashing lights. We just want to get the alarm working as been a few breakins lately around her house and she is on her own. Not an ideal situation.

Alto in your diagram you sent their is a blue cable in spare/reed, so back at the panel should their be black and blue in one terminal and red on it's own?? Also is that blue where did come from, stupid question I no.

As Altor said above,, if you interfere with it this guy can claim that you caused the fault. By the sounds of it anyway there is a lot more to do there than fitting end of line resistors.

No, there is only Red and Black connected in the alarm zone.
    The blue cable is just completing the circuit.
    I would contact the installer to fix this for you first.

Advertisement