Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 32gb (2012) Half Price on argos - €124.99 - Probably Sold Out at this stage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Patww79 wrote: »

THIS is meant to fix the lag problem after updating.

I have CM11 on mine now and works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Patww79 wrote: »
    T-Bird wrote: »

My 16gb Nexus 7 (2012) has been working fine on KitKat 4.4.4 but thanks for the tip on cleaning the cache.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

You must be rooted so?? With CM.

If rooted, there is a simple app which will clear cache partition, and Dalvik cache, which can also help on occasions, if you wish, as well as App caches for non rooted devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.specsoft.clearcache

It can be easier than rebooting into recovery.

Also, perhaps enabling ART runtime in Developer options, if available on 2012 N7, can help with speed, after slower start up!!!

There is also Lagfix, for rooted devices, which can be useful, it seems the Nexus is affected by the TRIM bug this app addresses. It is a user friendly interface to use the fstrim utility on partitions you can select. It is advised yo use delault settings, not trimming the system partition.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix

• Advertisement

Also, perhaps enabling ART runtime in Developer options, if available on 2012 N7, can help with speed, after slower start up!!!

ART is not available on Nexus 7 (2012)!

The trim bug was resolved in later versions of KitKat.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

You must be rooted so?? With CM.

If rooted, there is a simple app which will clear cache partition, and Dalvik cache, which can also help on occasions, if you wish, as well as App caches for non rooted devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.specsoft.clearcache

It can be easier than rebooting into recovery.

There is also Lagfix, for rooted devices, which can be useful, it seems the Nexus is affected by the TRIM bug this app addresses. It is a user friendly interface to use the fstrim utility on partitions you can select. It is advised yo use delault settings, not trimming the system partition.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grilledmonkey.lagfix

This is a great tool http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I lost root after 4.4 update (and couldnt root again), so couldnt use lagfix.

Lag was just terrible and I think clearing cache worked (not sure if problem re occured).

I just downloaded a few custom roms and found that CM11 worked best. Purity was close but had bit of lag.

corkie wrote: »
    ART is not available on Nexus 7 (2012)!

The trim bug was resolved in later versions of KitKat.

That's a pity, but I'm still not convinced by it on my 2013 N7.

Was trim resolved for 2013 N7??. Anyway, the app is easy to install and try out.

I wish the screen touch sensitivity issue was resolved, it is a pain in the butt sometimes.

That's a pity, but I'm still not convinced by it on my 2013 N7.

Was trim resolved for 2013 N7??. Anyway, the app is easy to install and try out.

I wish the screen touch sensitivity issue was resolved, it is a pain in the butt sometimes.

Trim was available/built in since Android 4.3, see here!

This is a great tool http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I lost root after 4.4 update (and couldnt root again), so couldnt use lagfix.

Lag was just terrible and I think clearing cache worked (not sure if problem re occured).

I just downloaded a few custom roms and found that CM11 worked best. Purity was close but had bit of lag.

Those are rooted ROMs, yeah??

Here is a reddit tutorial which gives a method of updating to 4.4.4 without losing data, using wugfresh.....

www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/28lzxu/tutorial_how_to_update_to_android_443444_without/

I think its for N5, but method should work, and xposed installed also, the comments are interesting also. Preserving root seems possible in updating kk versions.

• Advertisement

Those are rooted ROMs, yeah??

Here is a reddit tutorial which gives a method of updating to 4.4.4 without losing data, using wugfresh.....

www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/28lzxu/tutorial_how_to_update_to_android_443444_without/

I think its for N5, but method should work, and xposed installed also, the comments are interesting also. Preserving root seems possible in updating kk versions.

For anyone buying this and if it's on an early version of android. Flashing Factory images of KitKat 4.4.4 probably would be better than upgrading.

Here is the same guide with pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

these still available anywhere

these still available anywhere

I checked a few stores, look like there sold out!

Updated the first post

Did anyone here manage to reserve one or even buy one?

Advertisement