Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand honeymoon quote

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey,
    I got a quote of €5052 for 12 nights in Thailand. All 4* properties. 2 nights in Phuket, 5 nights in in Koh Yao Noi and 5 nights in Koh phi phi. Inc B&B and transfers. Is that good??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Sounds very expensive, I got quotes of between 4-5.5k for 19 nights. I ended up booking it myself for a good bit cheaper.

We are going in September though, maybe if you're going in peak season if would be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

We are going in January so it's peak season!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Personally I wouldnt bother with the 3 different places. I would suggest 4 nights in bangkok then 10 days on one of the island resorts. Book it yourself and organise your own transfers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

That doesn't seem like a good deal to me, at all. You could do definitely do that <€3000

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    That doesn't seem like a good deal to me, at all. You could do definitely do that <€3000

I'll never make a travel agent I can't seem to get any decent 4* hotels inc flights and transfers for under 6k myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi Andrew,

I didn't mean to come across as a know-it-all.

What is the breakdown of your costs there?

Re: accommodation - there seems to be quite a good selection for reasonable-enough prices available in Phuket, for instance - Link to Trivago search

And return flights seem to be ~€700 per person Sky scanner search(not to be dark but it's probably a great time to be booking this type of flight, after that awful tragedy in Ukraine).

We are trying to stay away from patong and the like. We will only be in Phuket for 2 nights 1 day that's coming in at €200 then transfers are €130 each way to koh Yao noi -hotel is € 1200 then in phi phi hotel is €1100 also flights are coming in at 2300 so that's about 5k the flights are the killer it's the time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Try Malaysia airlines.. London to Bankok 11/1-25/1 1600Eur return for 2 people. They fly an A380 from London and its really comfortable.

Have a look with trail-finders, They got us flights from Dub-Lon-Kul(2 nights stay 4*)-Vietnam then return Bankok-Kul-Lon-Dub for 760 all in! That was November so off peak but maybe give them a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

I think getting under €3000 would be ambitious. Might be possible if you got a package deal for a single location, but not if you want to travel to a few destinations.

Just checked flights on SkyScanner and for January next year they're currently around €2300 for two people, that's from Dublin to Phuket with Emirates and stopping in Dubai. Looked up 14 nights in a €100 a night 4 star hotel (just picked a cheaper looking one from TripAdvisor) and that came to €1400. Add in some transfers and that will get to the €4000 mark easily.

It might be possible to opt for some flights that have 2 stops which might bring the cost down. It also might be possible to get cheaper accommodation, it would depend on what the OP is looking for.

So my suggestion OP is to price up the exact same itinerary that the travel agent has given you. Price up the same flights and the same hotels and see what you come up with. You should come up with a cheaper price and the difference between your price and the travel agents price will be for transfers and any mark-up they've added. You'll then have a good idea if the price is fair or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

12 nights all 4* for €5k is huge money.

Myself and the OH will be going at the same time 26 days; Singapore->Bali->Chiang Mai->Koh Phangnan->Singapore, staying in several 5* places and are spending less than that on flights and accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I travelled around Thailand for 6 months,, Prices vary massively.. January is peak season,, It is a huge country with so much to do and see,, it would depend on what you want.. Note that small places like Koh Phi Phi during Peak season increase their prices greatly.. Is it possible to go later in the year??

Phuket is my least favourite place,, I wouldn't stay there long,, but it does have international flights, and is a good base to visit other areas,, you could stay a few nights on Koh Phi Phi,, the more relaxed Koh Lanta.

Or you could fly to Bangkok for a night and fly south to Koh Samui, (great 4/5 star accom) Koi Phagnan (full moon party) and make your way further north to Koh Tao (My favourite island).

If it were me I would book everything myself, but it is your honeymoon but know that I spent 7,500 grand in 6 months,,and lived like a king,, more or less,, kind of.. Trailfinders are supposed to be good for honeymoons..

Go to Koh Tao if you can its really epic.. Enjoy!!

superman28 wrote: »
    I travelled around Thailand for 6 months,, Prices vary massively.. January is peak season,, It is a huge country with so much to do and see,, it would depend on what you want.. Note that small places like Koh Phi Phi during Peak season increase their prices greatly.. Is it possible to go later in the year??

Phuket is my least favourite place,, I wouldn't stay there long,, but it does have international flights, and is a good base to visit other areas,, you could stay a few nights on Koh Phi Phi,, the more relaxed Koh Lanta.

Or you could fly to Bangkok for a night and fly south to Koh Samui, (great 4/5 star accom) Koi Phagnan (full moon party) and make your way further north to Koh Tao (My favourite island).

If it were me I would book everything myself, but it is your honeymoon but know that I spent 7,500 grand in 6 months,,and lived like a king,, more or less,, kind of.. Trailfinders are supposed to be good for honeymoons..

Go to Koh Tao if you can its really epic.. Enjoy!!

Cheers for that!
    Phi phi we are thinking of the outrigger resort it's 30mins by long boat to tonsai bay on phi phi don! I'm 1/2 thinking of just going there for 12 days to read books and go on day trips to the various islands! We want to go on honeymoon ASAP (work commitments)
    7500 for 6 months ah here.... Ha ha!

Andiewoo wrote: »
    Cheers for that!
    Phi phi we are thinking of the outrigger resort it's 30mins by long boat to tonsai bay on phi phi don! I'm 1/2 thinking of just going there for 12 days to read books and go on day trips to the various islands! We want to go on honeymoon ASAP (work commitments)
    7500 for 6 months ah here.... Ha ha!

Not phi phi don.. These islands are confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

There are some really nice resorts on Koh Lanta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We stayed on Koh Phi Phi and loved it. It's fairly isolated though if you wish to party.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Andiewoo wrote: »
    Hey,
    I got a quote of €5052 for 12 nights in Thailand. All 4* properties. 2 nights in Phuket, 5 nights in in Koh Yao Noi and 5 nights in Koh phi phi. Inc B&B and transfers. Is that good??

Seems pretty expensive, 4* hotels are not expensive in Thailand, you may save something by not getting breakfast included as eating out is very cheap in Thailand and all day breakfasts are easy to get. If you're looking to save on flights then just go to Samui for 7-10 nights as if you're looking for the beach paradise experience then this is as good a spot as any. I'd add in the remainder of the nights in Bangkok, it is well worth your while staying here for a few nights, also helps with the jetlag to get into the timezone before you head off to the islands.

I think because you're going to places with limited accommodation like Yao Noi and Phi Phi that this is pushing up the price, Samui has lots of hotels, don't rule out Phuket either, there's more to it than Patong, Kata and Karon are popular with couples.

Advertisement