Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle Middle

• 20-07-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm looking at property in Wicklow.

One of the places I've landed on is newcastle middle. This is a couple miles out from greystones. Does anyone have an opinion on this place.

Is there any good local schools.
    Are there are problems with itinerants.
    Are the youth in the neighborhood respectful?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Hi I haven't lived there for a while so my knowledge is dated and has gaps but since no one else is answering you...
    first off it's a peaceful rural area, afaik there is no trouble with local kids or anything like that.
    There are two national schools in Kilcoole which are fine without being fantastic, there is also a protestant primary school in Newcastle itself which I think is pretty exclusive. There would also be a good selection of schools in greystones, could be an issue getting into them with catchment areas etc but I'm no expert
    There is a relatively new secondary school in Kilcoole which I don't think has a great track record, Bray or Greystones would offer better options

scenically it's very beautiful imho but also a bit isolated, I remember spending a lot of time in my youth staring at the swifts waiting for that 84 bus.

As I said my knowledge may not be up to date so other posters can feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Cliffage wrote: »
    Hi I haven't lived there for a while so my knowledge is dated and has gaps but since no one else is answering you...
    first off it's a peaceful rural area, afaik there is no trouble with local kids or anything like that.
    There are two national schools in Kilcoole which are fine without being fantastic, there is also a protestant primary school in Newcastle itself which I think is pretty exclusive. There would also be a good selection of schools in greystones, could be an issue getting into them with catchment areas etc but I'm no expert
    There is a relatively new secondary school in Kilcoole which I don't think has a great track record, Bray or Greystones would offer better options

scenically it's very beautiful imho but also a bit isolated, I remember spending a lot of time in my youth staring at the swifts waiting for that 84 bus.

As I said my knowledge may not be up to date so other posters can feel free to correct me.

the school in question in actual FACT is very good,if you don't know what you're talking about best say nothing imo.
    OP I think Kilcoole might be a better option,some really nice estates,Newcastle just feels a little bit cut off,for eg I can walk from my house in several directions for miles which I love,in Newcastle you can walk down the beach but the 2 main roads in and out of the town are not suitable for walking.
    Also,Kilcoole/Greystones has a lot more clubs etc for kids on the doorstep.

Oh right, that's good to hear. I was just going on university progression stats compared to other schools in the area but I guess there's more to a good school than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Oh right, that's good to hear. I was just going on university progression stats compared to other schools in the area but I guess there's more to a good school than that

compared to which other schools in the area??

for your info a lot of schools boost their stats by having very good 7th year programs.Makes the school look great stats wise alright.It's a good school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kilcoole secondary school is excellent from all accounts I've heard.

OP I think personally Newcastle is a bit too isolated. Theres no shops there. The public transport is crap.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

compared to which other schools in the area??

Just had a quick look at Pres, David's, and Loreto comparing entry into UCD, DCU and trinity, for 2013 was 6 (out of 72 students) compared to 15 in Davids (out of 72), 52 in Loretto (out of 133 ), and 36 (out of 82) in Pres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Much much more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emeraldpearl

Thank you so much for all your responses. We decided to look in Naas. :)

Advertisement