Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new bike please

Options
  • 20-07-2014 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Just getting back into cycling the past few months and as I've recently found out, a lot has changed in terms of the type of bikes on the market (been 11 years since I last bought my current bike). So I'm a complete noob at this and would appreciate some advice. As background, I can run 10km in 40 minutes but as I've recently learned, that doesn't mean I'm "cycle fit".

Anyways, I've been trying to keep up with a mate on our 50km cycles, he's on a "proper" road bike whereas I'm on my 11 year old (what I used to call a) "mountain bike" with big fat tyres. I feel I'm working twice as hard as him on these cycles just matching his pace (average 26kph). His bike is a Trek model (not sure which one though). Been looking at getting something similar under the Bike to Work scheme.

Anyways, after much searching I've narrowed it down to a Trek 1.2 model for €799. I know I can spend a lot more but would I get the "return" for my money? I currently do three 40-50km cycles a week but plan on ditching the car and cycling to work (40km each way) when I build my fitness up enough. The long term plan is to get fit enough to do the ring of Kerry cycle next year.

So can you please advise if the bike I've almost selected would do the job in terms of reliability, longevity etc, or should I spend more to get a better bike?

The shop thats selling the bike is suggesting I get proper cycling shoes with cleats. I'm very dubious about that as my mate has told me that he's come off his bike a few times but couldn't get his foot down out of the cleats in time and ended up skinning his whole side. Are there any quick release cleats?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cleats are safe, they are all quick release. The Trek is fine. Commuting that distance year round will put a lot of wear on the bike so having cheapish components makes sense.

If you spend a bit more you may get something a bit lighter and marginally smoother but may sacrifice practicality e.g. mudguard eyelets. I would reckon on starting out with the Trek as your only bike then demoting it to commuting only duties and getting a fun bike later on.

ROK is way, way easier than 400km a week commuting. That commute will be tough. Are you also planning to cycle at weekends? Cos 500 km a week is serious distance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The trek 1.2 is a grand bike. As already pointed out, clipless pedals are perfectly safe and very easy to get out of.

An 80km is going to be tough going. When you factor in changing, that's going to be 4 hours of your day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When I bought my current bike 11 years ago, I was living in Maynooth and cycling into Dublin City centre each day. That was about 50km round trip. I'm in my mid 40's now but still pretty fit (I go to the gym and/or run 5 times a week) and I reckon the commute to and from work is doable. It's a good road, wide and smooth surface (Clane to Trim via Kilcock). Ok so it's 40km each way but I reckon I can do that in 90minutes with a good bike. I've got shower facilities in work and a safe storage area for the bike. I could alternate cycling with driving if it gets too much for me, but like I said, I'm pretty fit at the moment and reckon I can manage it.

Getting the endurance to do the ring of Kerry is what I'm aiming for over the next year and the daily commute to work will help build this.

So I'll be fairly safe buying the Trek then, ie it's not a dud that will let me down?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

That bike would be grand. If you do that commute 2-3 days per week the ring of Kerry will be pi55 easy.
    (Just make sure it has mudguard eyelets- don't know myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Amage

I am very much a newbie to cycling and a longtime lurker on the board. I am actually picking up my new Trek bike tomorrow. One option you could ask your bike shop if you want to make the saving on the pedals/cleats via BTW but don't feel ready to use them straight away is put them through now and either give you a voucher that you can redeem when you want or just stick cheap normal pedals on for now and put the others on when you are used to the bike. This is my plan...want to get used to the bike first before learning to use the new pedals. Just an idea but certainly the shop I am dealing with are very accomadating and suggested this option to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

That's a good idea. Thanks mate. Have to admit I'm more than a little wary of having my feet stuck in cleats while getting used to a new bike. Can't get the picture out of my head of me having to stop suddenly or the bike skidding out from under me and I can't get my foot out of the pedal to stop myself hitting the ground. A lot of trucks use the road I commute on and some leak diesel which has caused my car to skid on bends. Can't imagine a bike being any less skid resistant.

Advertisement