Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily commute

Options
  • 20-07-2014 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm changing jobs and going from 4 wheels to 2.
    I've a 15km cycle each way. I'm guessing it'll be about 45 mins and that the 15km is suffucent enough to build up a sweat. does everyone shower at work?

What kind if gear should you wear on a 15 km cycle. It's from the Dalkey killiney area to ballsbridge.

On sine days I'd like to drop my 5 year old off at school in monkstown. What's the best way to transport a 5 year old on a bike?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ted1 wrote: »
    I've a 15km cycle each way. I'm guessing it'll be about 45 mins and that the 15km is suffucent enough to build up a sweat. does everyone shower at work?

What kind if gear should you wear on a 15 km cycle. It's from the Dalkey killiney area to ballsbridge.

On sine days I'd like to drop my 5 year old off at school in monkstown. What's the best way to transport a 5 year old on a bike?

Thanks.

Dalkey killiney area? That translates as Ballybrack to me! Don't be ashamed of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yo should wear whatever feels comfortable for you, but that distance is somewhere where I would be looking at cycling shorts and breathable clothing.

No, I do not shower at work, as there is no shower there (not yet anyway), and my commute takes me at least about an hour in the morning. The place was never designed properly in that respect, but we have acres of car park instead, which suits the vast majority of people, i.e. everybody else in the company. But sure, I am only a cyclist ;).

Regarding transporting your child, I am sure others will help as there are options there including child seats or trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Dalkey killiney area? That translates as Ballybrack to me! Don't be ashamed of it!

Deffo not Ballybrack, not handing in my notice till tomorrow so don't want to be too specific.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I use a cargo bike but I don't think there is a best option -- it's down to personal choice and what fits you, you child/children, your commute, your other needs etc.

Here's an illustrated rundown of most of the options -- suggestions on improvements very welcome: http://irishcycle.com/how-to/child-carrying-options/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Deffo not Ballybrack, not handing in my notice till tomorrow so don't want to be too specific.

In case someone recognises you? I think I saw the curtain in your neighbours house twitching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do that distance. Bit sweaty in summer and grimy in winter but don't need shower, just washbasin.

Maybe hitch up kid's bike using follow me hitch (can't remember name). 5 year old bit big for other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Lumen wrote: »
    I do that distance. Bit sweaty in summer and grimy in winter but don't need shower, just washbasin.

Maybe hitch up kid's bike using follow me hitch (can't remember name). 5 year old bit big for other options.

Trail-gator is one such product. Like Lumen I do a similar distance (D15 to D2) daily, and no need of a shower (though it would be a nice to have, certainly). I have cycle-specific gear anyway, so I use that. Honestly not sure what I might have done if I didn't cycle for leisure before commuting. Wet wipes/baby wipes are no harm to have in the bag in case you get a bit sweaty or dirtier than normal as well. Worth noting that I work in a role where I don't have to meet clients or anything, and dress code is very relaxed (i.e. unless someone has to say "Dude, pants!") you're generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I'm lucky that i can have a shower when i get to work, but if i didn't have access to a shower i think baby wipes might be the way to go, only 1 odd euro in aldi, could leave a few packets in your locker in work along with your work clothes, saves u the bother of carrying them everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If lacking a shower, get an atomiser spray bottle from Boots. Fill that with water with a squirt of shampoo and about 20 drops of Tea Tree oil. Use that as a body spray to reduce the likelihood of smells.

Advertisement