Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas on a budget

Options
  • 19-07-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi All

Have a little space at the side of our house which I'm not sure to do with. Please see attached photos. Any ideas very welcome. We are on a very very tight budget so anything creative welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It screams border to me. Are you not into plants/gardening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd stuff that full of plants. Via seed if budget is tight. Lupins and other perennials would take two years to come to flower from seed, but loads of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Thanks both. Was thinking that alright. Not a big gardener but would give it a go. Problems is that under that sheet is all building stone and there would be a lot of work in emptying and filling with topsoil. Should have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

If there are a lot of rocks there you could try putting down some big rocks and making it into a rockery - fill it with alpine plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm guessing that the house wall is on the right so possibly not a lot of sunlight? If the soil underneath is not great why not cover the area in pebbles/slate and make planting pockets. I'd be tempted to grow grasses, both tall and low. Grasses come in a wide variety of colours and are reasonably low maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'd nearly lay more slabs to allow full and easy access and use of the washing-line. That'd be down to near the pillar? (Or down to the washing machine).
    Some tough, low-growing shrubs could be put in there without having to dig everything out and they will fill out nicely: maybe a few heathers or lavanders - depending on how much sun it gets. Crocosmia could add a nice splash and a few ferns would look very nice there too.

Advertisement