Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of coming back

Options
  • 19-07-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I've been using Windows Phones for about a year now (currently a Lumia 1320) and in the main I've been very happy. The OS is smooth, great performance and no lag over time, and it's a 6" screen so great for emails and so on. As I'm not a big apps person and don't game on the phone (though it'll do that as well), I don't really care if the latest and greatest fad is released on the platform.

What is getting to me though is that it seems to be constantly a case that the NEXT update will bring a,b,c or fix x,y,z .. but it never quite gets there. For example, I'm using the latest WP 8.1 update which DOES significantly improve things - but really it's just playing catch-up on features/functions it should have had from the start, and there's still a lot of gaps!

So I'm thinking of moving back to Android. I've had several Droids in the past, my last being a Note 2 so that seems like a good point to start.

As I'm on a SIM-only business plan I don't get upgrades (in return though I get pretty much everything for €25 a month) but I'm not going to spend €600 on a handset either.
    Looking on Adverts, the Note 2 seems to be about €200-250 these days so that's a lot more reasonable, especially if I sell on the 1320 and a 920 I also have.

My questions then are:

1. Is the Note 2 still "relevant" in terms of specs/performance given that all I want really is a decent size screen, browsing, email, messaging and some "core" apps (Whatsapp, Viber, OneFootball, LinkedIn, LastPass etc). Did the 4G model ever get released on networks here? Not an essential, but as I have it as part of my contract I might as well use it

2. I had previously rooted and loaded custom ROMs onto the Driods so no doubt the latest version of Android has been ported. Is Cyanagonmod still the best generally? I'm not a fan of bloatware so I'd want it as clean as possible really.

3. Is having an Android still the pain in the ass it used to be with forever trying to get it "just so", having to constantly update ROMs in the hope that this time they've fixed something they broke only to discover they broke something else now etc. Have they finally fixed the need to wipe it and start over every so often with the newer OS releases.

4. I don't really want to port all my email accounts back from Outlook.com (although I still have gmail as well) as I hate the Gmail interface. What's the best Outlook/Exchange client these days?

Thanks for any feedback guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Would you consider the Nexus 5, I gave up flashing roms when I got it (flashed galaxy s and s3 nearly monthly) with vanilla there is no need. No bloat and updated straight from Google

Advertisement