Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Tan suit for job interview?

Options
  • 19-07-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone, looking for some advice: is it appropriate to wear dark tan suit in summer for a job interview? Job is in marketing area, management position at a large international company.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hi everyone, looking for some advice: is it appropriate to wear dark tan suit in summer for a job interview? Job is in marketing area, management position at a large international company.

Thank you!

Yes of course.

Just match your shoes shirt tie appropriately etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tan = brown. Urggghh.

Only if you have absolutely nothing better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't have said it was an ideal choice, TBH. But if you have nothing else, then go with it. Tone down the tie, wear matching shoes and a dazzling white shirt. Make sure your shoes are cleaned! You'd be amazed how many people forget the small detail of cleaning their shoes...

And if you're lucky enough to get the job, then invest in a business wear suit. Black, navy, charcoal or pinstripe would all be acceptable colours.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Are you male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

Go with navy or French blue .. dress to impress. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Place must be seriously superficial if they discriminate based on wearing a light brown suit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tbh there's very few bodies that can pull off a out of whack colour like a dark tan suit.

You're there to get a job at the end of the day, you need to look the part, a bad decision in the colour of a suit or an ill fitting suit can knock your confidence and could well be a deciding factor.

Tbh there's very few bodies that can pull off a out of whack colour like a dark tan suit.

You're there to get a job at the end of the day, you need to look the part, a bad decision in the colour of a suit or an ill fitting suit can knock your confidence and could well be a deciding factor.

Anyone that judges you on the colour of your suit is a f**ing asshole.

Really intelligent answer.

First impressions count. And a tan suit however funky, isn't normally considered formal business wear. Especially as the OP is going for a management position with a multi national...

You'll be the coolest cat in the dole queue!

You people are seriously sad, judging people on the shade of their bloody suit, get a life ffs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You people are seriously sad, judging people on the shade of their bloody suit, get a life ffs. :rolleyes:

It's the truth though, grasshopper. Go in to an interview with an MNC looking like you stole off Hugh Hefners washing line, you scream maverick at the interview panel. Large mnc's want conformists and team players, therefore they won't want you.

Nobody was judging anyone if you read the thread properly. The only person judging was YOU!! The OP asked for advice. We gave it. That's it. I notice you didn't have anything constructive to post...

Deleted my post. Got bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Have a brown suit, not strictly business but is not just casual either and it looks very smart.
    I've worn it to many interviews and been successful in more of them than I have not; there is more to a suit than the colour and most importantly it is the person wearing it.
    Of course pay attention to the smaller details as already mentioned though.

When doing second round interviews I'd never wear the same suit, shoes or shirt/tie. I'd usually try to wear something somewhat opposite to what they have already seen me in but of course still looking smart & presentable.

Personally I'd never wear pinstripe but that is just my preferance as it screams leagal/sales/old boring fart to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Is the multinational Del Monte? If so, I would say: YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You absolutely can judge someone on the colour of their suit, especially for a job like marketing manager.

Your clothes represent you. If you don't believe this (many Irish men don't believe it), that's unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thepresident

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate all of your input! In the end I decided to go with a "safe" dark blue/navy colour and I'm glad I did! Everyone in the place was dressed similarly and if I were to go ahead with my initial choice of tan suit, I would have looked out of place. I also did an extensive research online in addition to asking here and can now say for sure that if anyone has similar doubts like I had - simply go with standard business suit and do no wear tan (or white, or black) suit for a job interview. Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate all of your input! In the end I decided to go with a "safe" dark blue/navy colour and I'm glad I did! Everyone in the place was dressed similarly and if I were to go ahead with my initial choice of tan suit, I would have looked out of place. I also did an extensive research online in addition to asking here and can now say for sure that if anyone has similar doubts like I had - simply go with standard business suit and do no wear tan (or white, or black) suit for a job interview. Thanks again guys!

Good decision, save the 'sprezz' until after you've established yourself in the place. Hope the interview went well.

Advertisement