Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best value mid - high spec, and mid - small in size, android mobile?

Options
  • 19-07-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

My previous phone was a HTC desire x.

I'm a fan of android and htc.

Phones that seem to be of interest:

Desire 500, desire 610 (bit cheapy)
    Desire 816 would be great if it wasn't such a big phone.

New phone needs to be:
    - medium to small in size
    - decent spec
    - Good camera, with flash
    - Android os
    - HTC (if possible)

My budget is flexible. €200-400

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

For size you'll have to compromise on spec.

Bigger processors need bigger batterys, bigger heat sinks. Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

corkgsxr wrote: »
    For size you'll have to compromise on spec.

Bigger processors need bigger batterys, bigger heat sinks. Etc

The sony xperia z1 compact, and HTC one mini 2 look pretty good.
    Both in or around €450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

The sony xperia z1 compact, and HTC one mini 2 look pretty good.
    Both in or around €450

Crazy money, Moto G is better and about one third the price, completely fits the bill except for camera which is average

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

This has just been released. Comes with the top end 801 snap processor

http://www.etotalk.com/nubia-z7-mini-4g-lte_p6210.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

Moto E < Moto G < Nexus 5
    Order from cheapest upwards.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Z1 compact is your best bet, only mid sized Android with real flagship specs. The Mogo G is so overhyped here it unbelievable, great phone but doesn't hold a candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

beno619 wrote: »
    Z1 compact is your best bet, only mid sized Android with real flagship specs. The Mogo G is so overhyped here it unbelievable, great phone but doesn't hold a candle.

Disagree, I bought one for the mother last year for 100 euro, was almost as good as my 600 euro s4.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

You wanna be mad paying 450 for a midranger when the moto g at 149 is just as good or better even.

mondeo wrote: »
    You wanna be mad paying 450 for a midranger when the moto g at 149 is just as good or better even.

Think I'll go for the moto g,

Where should I buy it?
    (I'm with three, buy would prefer sim free.)

Also, I want the newer 4g model with memory card slot.

http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g-4g-8gb-black-261577/

• Advertisement

Are you really comparing a €350+ Z1 compact to a Moto G?

Moto G is the best value phone in its criteria/range. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Where should I buy it?

Just curious why you wouldn't go for this one mentioned above. Its got far superior specs

Where should I buy it?

Get it on Tesco.co.uk, use this code TDX-PRKW to get £10 off

seannash wrote: »
    Just curious why you wouldn't go for this one mentioned above. Its got far superior specs

How much is it?
    Where can I easily buy it?

seannash wrote: »

On going support? One of the reasons to be weary of buying Zte is support, they usually only give a single bugfix update and you're doomed to live with what you got after unless can get Cyanogen or another custom Rom on it. The Moto G gets regular updates and is officially getting Android L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Fair comparison here, which I think was before the Moto G LTE, with microSD Card storage and 4G capability was introduced, so the findings may be slightly different.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126195-sony-xperia-z1-compact-vs-motorola-moto-g-what-s-the-difference

Another review, which puts the Moto G LTE up against the HTC One mini 2 and Sony Xperia Z1......Moto G comes out very well.

http://thedroidguy.com/2014/05/htc-one-mini-2-vs-motorola-moto-g-vs-sony-xperia-z1-compact-specs-comparison-91893#KIRHFpEf4f8U6pvJ.97

Just after buying the moto g LTE

Disagree, I bought one for the mother last year for 100 euro, was almost as good as my 600 euro s4.

Yeah and I've recommend one to my bro and multiple friends, the S4 is a load of crap IMO so I understand why you might feel that way. There's no way it holds a candle to something like the HTC One.

The Z1 compact is a a flagship not a midranger.

mcw92 wrote: »
    Are you really comparing a €350+ Z1 compact to a Moto G?

Moto G is the best value phone in its criteria/range. End of.

The OP's budget is 200-400 so I recommended something better than the moto G which is usually < €180.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Yeah and I've recommend one to my bro and multiple friends, the S4 is a load of crap IMO so I understand why you might feel that way. There's no way it holds a candle to something like the HTC One.

The Z1 compact is a a flagship not a midranger.
    Ah good auld Beno619 still plugging away for the HTC One. You must be a major shareholder at this stage.
    +1 Moto G LTE

• Advertisement

Ah good auld Beno619 still plugging away for the HTC One. You must be a major shareholder at this stage.
    +1 Moto G LTE

Haha a flagship comparison was made, not all flagships are made equal ;)

I'm a huge Moto G fan but let's get real.

The OP's budget is 200-400 so I recommended something better than the moto G which is usually < €180.

Moto G+ - £140 here on Amazon
    We'll call it €180, leaves €20 for a SD card and a decent case.
    €200. Done.

Budget being flexible 200-400 does not mean he wants to spend the €400 full, why not spend the 200 side of the budget when the phone is very capable of what he wants in the phone.

mcw92 wrote: »
    Moto G+ - £140 here on Amazon
    We'll call it €180, leaves €20 for a SD card and a decent case.
    €200. Done.

Budget being flexible 200-400 does not mean he wants to spend the €400 full, why not spend the 200 side of the budget when the phone is very capable of what he wants in the phone.

But why not recommend something better if the op has the cash to burn if he/she was looking to do it as cheap as possible he would have stated so.

The OP also asked for a good camera the Moto G's is poor. The Z1 compact will age far better. Again flagship vs great budget phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

looking for a similar priced decent phone myself with good camera and sd card slot < €250 (coming round to thinking this is an unrealistic price point given whats out there)

If the Moto G 4G had a better camera it would be the winner.

The Sony Xperia T from this amazon seller for £165 inc postage has a better camera but there are autofoucs problems when recording videos that are putting me off. No 4g either but not a big issue for me. other than that its a great phone. It was a flagship 2 years ago so would be a mid ranger now imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Scruff wrote: »
    looking for a similar priced decent phone myself with good camera and sd card slot < €250 (coming round to thinking this is an unrealistic price point given whats out there)

If the Moto G 4G had a better camera it would be the winner.

The Sony Xperia T from this amazon seller for £165 inc postage has a better camera but there are autofoucs problems when recording videos that are putting me off. No 4g either but not a big issue for me. other than that its a great phone. It was a flagship 2 years ago so would be a mid ranger now imo

The LG G2 is one of the best phones around and can be got new for €300.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement