Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheels or new frame?

Options
  • 19-07-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Im currently driving a cube pelonton race with an Easton EA70 wheelset. As ive never availed of the cycle to work scheme I was thinking of doing so this year..

In terms of preformance as a general question, which makes up the most difference... a wheelet or a frame? I have the 1000 to spend on whichever I choose and then pairing it with what I have left, either the pelonton frame or the EA70 wheelest...

Im thinking myself along the lines of a deep dish carbon wheelset making a bigger difference but am open to suggestions on this.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For me rotational mass wins every time, so new wheels it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Deep dish only come into their own above 32/35 kph....
    If you don't travel at this speed forget them...
    Shamals... Mavic slr's ... Fulcrum 0's.... Money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A frame swap is really a new bike. 1000 euro won't get you a top end frame.

You don't have to spend 1000 to get nice wheels. Wheels wear out. Deep section ones are marginally faster but are either heavy, super expensive or have crappy braking. I'd go for some RS80s or Wheelsmith Race 24s and spend the rest on shoes and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You can't use the Cycle to Work scheme to buy wheels,

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Eamonnator wrote: »

Why not??.... Its a cycling item that will be bought from a bike store, am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Oh yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

subscriber wrote: »
    Why not??.... Its a cycling item that will be bought from a bike store, am i missing something?

Ya gotta buy a bike, not just the wheels.

countrykid wrote: »
    Oh yes you can

OK, I'll put it another way. It is illegal to buy wheels on the scheme.Buyer and seller both commit an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

OK, I'll put it another way. It is illegal to buy wheels on the scheme.Buyer and seller both commit an offence.

Don't think anyone really cares tbh. Aren't you also required to use it for part of your journey to work?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Don't think anyone really cares tbh. Aren't you also required to use it for part of your journey to work?

If they find out, Revenue might care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i remember lads who used be buying lawnmowers on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

i remember lads who used be buying lawnmowers on it :D

Maybe they went to work on their lawnmower?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

reel-workout1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

OP if I was you, I'd consider selling your current bike whole and using the proceeds plus the €1000 to invest in something nice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Inquitus wrote: »
    No, you are required to INTEND to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Brian? wrote: »
    OP if I was you, I'd consider selling your current bike whole and using the proceeds plus the €1000 to invest in something nice.

I would second this you will never be fished upgrading a midrange bike as you will always wish you went for something better. Sell what you have and throw the money against something new with BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

To be honest if I sell my current bike as a whole and buy new in the region of 2K, im still only getting something very midrange on both wheelset, frame and components. Im much better off investing the entire 1k on either just wheels or frame and having near top of the line of either one and then maybe considering upgrading the latter at a later date..... in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

You won't get top of the line with 1000euro. You can get decent frames or wheels but multiply by at least 2.5 for something top of the line (no zipps 404 are not top)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

To be honest if I sell my current bike as a whole and buy new in the region of 2K, im still only getting something very midrange on both wheelset, frame and components. Im much better off investing the entire 1k on either just wheels or frame and having near top of the line of either one and then maybe considering upgrading the latter at a later date..... in my humble opinion.

You're not getting "top of the line" for a grand. You're getting mid level in either wheels or frame.

A set of Lightweight wheels is over €3k, that's top of the line to me. The price of frames gets outrageous.

My advice, take your €2k and buy something from ribble or Planet X with 11sp Ultegra.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Fair enough, I thought this as well bit l couldn't find a decent frame online and as the other posters are saying framesets can be outrageous money especially in the shops in Ireland, you might get a cervelo forr about 2 k. I bought second hand myself and sold on my alu frame road bike and mtb to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bike to work scheme cannot be used to buy bike parts - it's for complete bikes only

OP, PM me if you require further clariufication, but the rules are covered in the BTW megathread

As what the OP is seeking advice on is actually illegal, I'm closing the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement