Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter MTB questions

Options
  • 18-07-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,

I really want to get into mountain biking. It's something I've always been interested and I love sports with good thrills especially with speed. I am only your normal everyday cyclist - I've a Giant hardtail hybrid at the moment that's in good nick and I'm wondering how useful is that for me in terms of mountain biking.

I want to start slow and take some baby steps so I'd be interested on going on simple enough trails for now. Do you think the bike I have now would be of any use to me for that kinda stuff (sorry for lack of specs on the bike)? I'd appreciate it greatly if you guys could suggest what gear I need starting out and where to get the stuff and where not to get it. I don't wanna be screwed by a bike shop into buying stuff I don't need and I would be open to second hand gear.

If you guys could also help me out with some good trails for my novice level around Galway and midlands (Offaly/Westmeath) that would be great.

I'm still young and foolish so I hope that I can get hooked to this sport before I get to busy in later life.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

If your around Galway there are some reasonable trails in Moycullen just eside the village.
    While there call into MBW Bike Shop where the lads will be able to sort you out with whatever questions you may have.

Probably best to keep the hybrid for the road or at the very most gentle trails as it'd get wrecked soon enough and if it is in decent enough condition best to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Hybrid won't cut it on any half decent trails the wheels wouldn't be up to it, best option would be to sell it on and look for a MTB, there are lots of secondhand ones on adverts you might even get someone looking to swap or part ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wrightguy

Thanks for the info. I' wouldn't mind selling the hybrid - bought it for €300 a few years ago. Still in great condition.

I hear Moycullen bike shop are very good, I'll try get into them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

There are also some trails in Clarenbridge & Rosscahill while further out there is Derourra, a 16k loop of mixed trail, just past Oughterard.

Advertisement