Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish products in New Zealand

• 18-07-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Can you get Kerry Gold butter in New Zealand? Especially around Christchurch? And how much would cost in Euro or NZD? Also if anyone knows where to get other Irish products please tell me :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I think you'll find Irish dairy products in NZ under the heading of 'ice to Eskimos' but I did check with Dad (who works for Fonterra), and he laughed

Try some of the different brands, and you'll find one you'll cope with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.bramptins.co.nz/
    http://www.irishtimes.co.nz/cm/

a quick google listed the above, there's another in Auckland that does Tayto somewhere but I can't find it.

It's far far cheaper to get someone at home to buy tea and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bambgirl92

Thanks, I know it was a strange question, but I need Kerry Gold on my spuds and toast :D

Also is there any supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi around Christchurch or Ashburton?
    I just get a bit of OCD when I travel anywhere and I like to get stuff organised and work with a budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Pak n save is the cheapest supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

British stall in Riccarton market has loads of Irish products, their store is in Kaiapoi. Reasonably priced too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Bloody hell.. get out of your bubble and just buy a kiwi brand. they have good dairy produce over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

carnie wrote: »
    Bloody hell.. get out of your bubble and just buy a kiwi brand. they have good dairy produce over there

For a country that produces so much of it, the quality is poor.
    Really crap cheeses and watery milk. The lack of any standards and protections like the EU has for specific products (like Feta) means there's all sorts of terrible quality versions of foodstuffs too.

Lamb is really poor too compared to what you can get home killed from local friends, the local unprocessed milk is really good to. I reckon there's a lot of truth when you here people hear complaining that the best quality (anything) made in NZ is always exported and second rate stuff kept for national sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

For a country that produces so much of it, the quality is poor.
    Really crap cheeses and watery milk. The lack of any standards and protections like the EU has for specific products (like Feta) means there's all sorts of terrible quality versions of foodstuffs too.

Lamb is really poor too compared to what you can get home killed from local friends, the local unprocessed milk is really good to. I reckon there's a lot of truth when you here people hear complaining that the best quality (anything) made in NZ is always exported and second rate stuff kept for national sale.

I'm no connoisseur and i do enjoy a good cheese but I didn't think the run of the mill cheddars, like mainland, were too bad.. in saying that, i do agree about the feta. it wasn't great

I was looking at Pak N Save; are they just in the North Island? Im going to the South. I will try the Kiwi brands of dairy, but I want my Irish stuff for Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Definitely Pak n Saves in the South Island :)

Admittedly I've not been to Christchurch post earthquake but Moorhouse Ave (CBD) and Riccarton Shopping Mall come to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

There are several Pak n Saves in the South Island: Richmond, Blenheim, Christchuch (several), Timaru, Dunedin, Invercargill.

http://www.paknsave.co.nz/store-map

In fairness, I enjoyed Kiwi dairy produce, I completely understand wanting a taste of home (it can be quite a comfort seeing a familiar wrapper or packaging) but the kiwi stuff is grand, I'm not a fan of feta so I never tried it, but everything else was fine. You may find Kerrygold if you are in one of the bigger towns/cities, in a specialty shop. There seems to be quite a large variety on the shelves too, brands we may not be familiar with here (although you will see some familiar names) so just try stuff until you find brands you like.

Try Whittakers chocolate, and Milo is mandatory ;) Also the Heinz brand is known as Watties in NZ.

If you REALLY want some particular Irish stuff, just get someone to do you up a little care box of tea bags, etc (non perishables, no liquids) and post it over to you...you could even reimburse them if you set up online banking.

When I Googled Pak N Save, it just showed them on the North Island (I probably looked up the North only). I am willing try the NZ products and others.

Yeah I'm not a big Feta lover myself, its a bit too strong I think. It was pure curiosity, I just wanted to see what products are available down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Riccarton in Christchurch has P N Save at the Westfield Mall and a speciality store called Little Britain about 1km up on Riccarton Road

Advertisement