Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eustace St Presbyterian records briefly available

Options
  • 18-07-2014 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I've requested and got the Eustace Street Presbyterian meeting house baptismal and marriage records from 16something to 1850 or so, and they're in Pearse Street Library on microfilm now and for three months, if anyone would like to consult them. Many of the parents were printers, so I'll put up a separate note about that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lbud

Well done for letting people know the records are available.

Can you explain the process of ordering microfilm to be viewed in Pearse St.? Do you order from the LDS and they send the film to the library? Or do you ask the library to order the film?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

lbud wrote: »
    Well done for letting people know the records are available.

Can you explain the process of ordering microfilm to be viewed in Pearse St.? Do you order from the LDS and they send the film to the library? Or do you ask the library to order the film?

Thanks.

I searched on familysearch.org and found the record I wanted. Some of these records have been digitised and are online to be viewed for free. Mine wasn't.

It was from 1843, and the Family Research Centre run by the Mormons in Glasnevin only has microfilm of records dating from 1845. Earlier records are held in Salt Lake City.

So I created an account on familysearch.org and ordered this record, and paid €8; the microfilm was then copied and sent from Salt Lake City to Dublin. I had a choice of viewing it in the Mormons' Family Research Centre in Glasneven, but that's open only intermittently and staffed by volunteers, so instead I chose to view it at Pearse Street Library.

The Mormons, who were very helpful, told me by email that the film could then be held for three months after the time it arrived, for repeated viewing by me, or for viewing by other people. I have asked Pearse Street to hold it, and told them either I or others might come in to view it during the next few weeks. Then, oddly, this copy will be shipped back to Salt Lake City.

If you have the time, the Mormons are looking for volunteers to transcribe blocks of records. You do 200 records at a time, and these are independently transcribed by another volunteer; these two transcriptions are then checked by a third person and collated, and any contradictions resolved, and when that's finalised they're put online for anyone to access. You can't choose what records you transcribe; you take what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lbud

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

......If you have the time, the Mormons are looking for volunteers to transcribe blocks of records. You do 200 records at a time, and these are independently transcribed by another volunteer; these two transcriptions are then checked by a third person and collated, and any contradictions resolved, and when that's finalised they're put online for anyone to access. You can't choose what records you transcribe; you take what you get.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember (its a while ago since I saw them) you can choose from what is on the list but there may not be much in the way of Irish records for transcribing. You can see how much (percentage) of a particular record has already been done. Almost sure it was Familysearch. There are records from all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember (its a while ago since I saw them) you can choose from what is on the list but there may not be much in the way of Irish records for transcribing. You can see how much (percentage) of a particular record has already been done. Almost sure it was Familysearch. There are records from all over the world.

Ah, I didn't see it on Familysearch, it was someone from the Mormon centre in Glasnevin who told me this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You get lists if you sign up to be a transcriber.

Advertisement