Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamps

Options
  • 18-07-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Do your posting today folks. The 60c stamp is going up to 68c next wk.

Comments

why i heard this the other day also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

To be fair, the postal system is one of the few services provided by the state that actually works. And its cost to the consumer (even after this price rise) is similar to the cost in most other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

animaal wrote: »
    To be fair, the postal system is one of the few services provided by the state that actually works. And its cost to the consumer (even after this price rise) is similar to the cost in most other European countries.

****ing snail mail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I know this is an old thread and sorry for opening it again.

I looked on the an post website and could not find the answer.

Anyway, I do feck all posting and only discovered today that stamps have gone up to 68c, I know I should know this but I rarely use the post anymore.

Problem is I posted a letter yesterday and had some stamps lying around the house and used them i.e a 60 cent stamp and I used that.

Will that be rejected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Often items just get delivered and the system doesn't notice the insufficient postage, but when it does, the machines in the sorting office divert it for manual handling. If there is a return address on the item, then it is sent back to you. If there is no return address, then the item is opened to see if they can figure out who sent it. If they can identify you from that they will return it to you. If they cannot identify the sender from the contents then the item will be delayed and eventually delivered. They will hold onto it for a week or two before delivering it. Often when it arrives it will have a sticker on it statin 'Delayed due to insufficient postage.'

In other words, it will either arrive at its destination tomorrow, or come back to you in 2-3 days or it will arrive at its destination in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Often items just get delivered and the system doesn't notice the insufficient postage, but when it does, the machines in the sorting office divert it for manual handling. If there is a return address on the item, then it is sent back to you. If there is no return address, then the item is opened to see if they can figure out who sent it. If they can identify you from that they will return it to you. If they cannot identify the sender from the contents then the item will be delayed and eventually delivered. They will hold onto it for a week or two before delivering it. Often when it arrives it will have a sticker on it statin 'Delayed due to insufficient postage.'

In other words, it will either arrive at its destination tomorrow, or come back to you in 2-3 days or it will arrive at its destination in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, how do you know all this ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

A guy who works in the local sorting office told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stamps are a joke at this stage.
    I went in to the post office the other day, asked for a 1.20 stamp (for an A4 envelope). The woman working there gave me a lecture about how she is not supposed to sell the stamps any more like that because she is supposed to weigh all the bigger envelopes to ensure adequate postage is paid. I only wanted to put a couple of sheets in it.
    It seems that there are now numerous rules about sizes and weights yet an post have made no arrangement to facilitate customers.
    Surely, a few simple devices on the public side of the counter or near post box would enable people to go about their business instead of needlessly waiting in line for silly things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

mickdw wrote: »
    Stamps are a joke at this stage.
    I went in to the post office the other day, asked for a 1.20 stamp (for an A4 envelope). The woman working there gave me a lecture about how she is not supposed to sell the stamps any more like that because she is supposed to weigh all the bigger envelopes to ensure adequate postage is paid. I only wanted to put a couple of sheets in it.
    It seems that there are now numerous rules about sizes and weights yet an post have made no arrangement to facilitate customers.
    Surely, a few simple devices on the public side of the counter or near post box would enable people to go about their business instead of needlessly waiting in line for silly things.

The sizes and weights have been in existence for years. Problem is many people still try to get away with lower postage that required, and this means many items are sent back to sender.

To be sure, they tend to prefer to check the item being posted so that it arrives safely and on time. But they don't insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

delahuntv wrote: »
    The sizes and weights have been in existence for years. Problem is many people still try to get away with lower postage that required, and this means many items are sent back to sender.

To be sure, they tend to prefer to check the item being posted so that it arrives safely and on time. But they don't insist on it.

Exactly, the chancers will always try and get away with it if they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

An Post really should get more automated machines for selling stamps. Most post offices in Germany have machines outside to sell stamps 24/7. But I cant imagine Unions being too happy with it here. I know there will be the usually,"they will get wrecked in Dublin" argument. But I have never seen a damaged Dublin Bus real time display and there was little damage done to Dublin Bikes( I think only 1/2 bikes have been stolen so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Thurles PO has a coin operated stamp machine outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Most shops now sell them, also who needs a stamp at 2am? Post is only collected up to about 6pm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

hfallada wrote: »
    An Post really should get more automated machines for selling stamps. Most post offices in Germany have machines outside to sell stamps 24/7. But I cant imagine Unions being too happy with it here. I know there will be the usually,"they will get wrecked in Dublin" argument. But I have never seen a damaged Dublin Bus real time display and there was little damage done to Dublin Bikes( I think only 1/2 bikes have been stolen so far)

most main post offices have coin operated machines outside - and have for many years.

Also there are now new post point areas arond the country and these are being rolled out.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Postal+Service+Centre.htm

They are even better than anything offered in Germany!

Advertisement