Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christoph Muller

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Aer Lingus Chief Executive Christoph Muller is to leave the company in May of next year.

He has been CEO and executive director at the company since 2009, and say now is the right time to hand over the reins.

The Aer Lingus chairman Colm Barrington has thanked him in a statement this morning, saying the company has become a strong consistently profitable airline under Mr Muller's leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So what does this mean for Aer Lingus. Obviously every person has a different view as to how they want to run a company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Mueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Despite his very large remuneration over his 5 years and increasing all the time, I believe Mueller was very good for EI.

He has changed the direction of the company to focus on what it does best, provide great care at a decent fare.

Using Aer Arran to funnel passengers onto your TA network was a particularly good set up during his tenure.

Finally to bring the airline into profit against the biggest "monster" on their own door step in the toughest economic conditions in some time has to be commended.

my friend wrote: »
    Mueller

Thanks to the nazi spelling police for that!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks to the nazi spelling police for that!!!!!!!!!

Ah Herr, at least try to get it right. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Credible rumours that Dermot Mannion is coming back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Ah Herr, at least try to get it right. ;)

Try to get it Reich.

Get it, Reich!

Never mind, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Another chance for the unions to start acting the maggot when he goes, maybe O'Leary will have another go at buying EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

He was only ever brought in as a fireman, it's a miracle he stayed as long as he did (and is alleged to have tried to get out before now). He is reasonably well regarded inside and now we have to see what kind of a guy replaces him.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

6 years is a fairly average term for many CEOs these days - that's why they get paid the big bucks - no long term job security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Firefighter he was. If you look at his past conquests he has little experience in growing a business and taking it forward. He sorted out the cash hemorrhage by curtailing the flying of longhaul aircraft with 50 people on it and giving staff a massive paycut. He also saw off MOL with the help of the UK Competition Committee and EU.

When the recovery came I don't believe we were well placed to make the most of those opportunities. The longhaul side of the business is seeing record numbers and yet we have no more aircraft arriving for the foreseeable future. He pushed out the A350 delivery dates and in my opinion we are still undecided if we are getting 330s, 330neos or 350s.

The government is essentially in the process of giving away the countries 5th Freedom rights to anyone with a chequebook. As a result you will get to LA next year with an African carrier. An Asian one will take you to China and there are rumours of SIA coming in as well. Then there are the Canadians and Yanks all expanding services into and out of Ireland whereas AL should be doing this with or without a codeshare agreement if the need arises. There doesn't seem to be a defensive strategy at all to our home bases which is quite staggering considering when you look at how other carriers will protect their own patches.

The writing was on the wall I think when he had to rely on MOL to sign off on his remuneration package. At that point most staff lost all belief in him as on the one hand he was attempting to screw over retirees and writing to us all informing us of the need to rein in the spending yet on the other was happy to be one of the highest industry earners for mediocre results.

Unfortunately he seems to be lingering for nearly a year with little credibility which is no good for the company. Hopefully the board will act fast and have a new person instilled within a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Agreed shortage of aircraft is hurting expansion, having said that , 2x 330 due to
    Be added in next two years, all things being equal plus it is possible little red could return the four 320 hulls next year so maybe not all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

howard miller is available

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Shame to see him leave really nice guy and done a fantastic job. It's all about moving forward, with the unpredictable aviation industry that can be a very hard thing to do. Good luck to however gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Immelman

Will be missed great advocate for the Aer Lingus Charitable Foundation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Immelman wrote: »
    Will be missed great advocate for the Aer Lingus Charitable Foundation
    I would have to agree. Its a shame that it took a non-Irish CEO to recognise the significance of the heritage of the Shamrock. Walsh and Mannion both took steps to move away from (if not positively kill) the legacy of the Shamrock. In fact I have 100% proof from a trusted mate that Mannion refused to "expend extraneous finance in this era of corporate difficulty" on a retro livery to commemorate the 70th anniversary in 2006. (The same guy got a very positive respond from Mueller when he emailed him in late 2010)

I realise that some posters may feel no loyalty to or emotion towards the shamrock.........however it was at the leading edge of Irish presence overseas for many years. And indeed the foreign adventures of EI gave teh opportunity for Tony Ryan to identify the gap in the market which gave rise to GPA and latterly to Ryanair.

I personally fear that EI will be saddled with the stereotypcal "grey man" who looks at penny's not pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Someone on these very boards said to me maybe Michael O'Leary will go in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

fr336 wrote: »
    Someone on these very boards said to me maybe Michael O'Leary will go in there ;)

He'd try and buy Ryanair then ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jhcx wrote: »
    He'd try and buy Ryanair then ha ha

And probably get rejected too

• Advertisement

Christoph Mueller is set to leave Aer Lingus next month. The departure was set for May but now that has been brought forward to the end of February.

I know the unions won't miss him, but I think he has done sterling work for the airline.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I know the unions won't miss him, but I think he has done sterling work for the airline.

The smart workers realise that CM stopped the downward glideslope that the previous Exec team had placed EI in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I think the unions would rather see the back of the middle managers none not necessarily CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Christoph Mueller is set to leave Aer Lingus next month. The departure was set for May but now that has been brought forward to the end of February.

This news didn't surprise me once it was confirmed he was going to Malaysia Airlines.

It will be very interesting to see who replaces him. He certainly hung in there longer than anyone for most of the past 20 years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

basill wrote: »
    I think the unions would rather see the back of the middle managers none not necessarily CM.

Hit the nail on the head.

Advertisement