Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferris Buellar was right

Options
  • 18-07-2014 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Life, or at least vaping, does move pretty fast.

I've been vaping pretty much bang on 7 months now. I took to it really well in some ways - completely stopped a long and heavy cig habit with no regrets, dropped cash without much quibbling, sought out info etc. - and not so well in others - for prob 3 and a half of those months I just used cartomizers and juices they could handle on ego batteries. I kind of stepped it upped recently - got a mech mod, used vamo boards, vaped microcoils and had a look to see where clearos where at.

Man, things have changed. Starter kits, or at least kits the big companies offer now, are so advanced. Aspire vv ego batteries can be 1600mah with airvents and spring loaded 510s :eek: What is a Kanger EMOW, and how do you even say it :confused: BDC coils are so much better than the old evods I had it's like vaping different juice. Entry price points look to be going up but the equipment seems to merit it. Now Aspire has some wickless coil Grimmgreen's raving about that seems to vape like some sort of super carto at 20watts. I'm kind of jealous I didn't start vaping yesterday, the options you'd have are incredible.

But for people vaping longer, you probably think I had it made. I reckon an evod type set up would have been suggested to someone when they started when I did, maybe vv, but shops wouldn't have pushed that too much then I reckon.

What was the general set up when you started? What did you go with and what did you end up going through? Also, did anyone plateau and stick with a set up regardless of new things coming out (I think I'm pretty close to this personally. If the BVCs are as good as Grimmgreen says that's me sorted, a satisfactory consistent vape is enough for me to let any changes pass me by)? Also, what did you end up doing with all the padded envelopes you amassed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The big thing when I started was the eGo-T with those shitty cartridge-tank atties.
    A Boge carto was the next step up for the atty, then a Lavatube V1.5 from Newmark for the battery and then a tank for the cartos. Started making juices for myself.

The taste of carto-filler bugged me so I got my first Clockworks RDA from Digby (I think he sold another one to me eventually?) and went through a few different clearos when I didn't want to be refilling things.

Got sick of charging batteries and the Lavatube fading at the end of the charge and got the Throathit Twin VV, used that for aaaages, still a great mod for those who like 25w but you've got to work with it's amp-limit restrictions and build a 1.3ohm dual-coil to get the most from it.

A couple of Genisis atties as I got tired of leaking drippers, then a move back to drippers as I moved to shitty mech mods and found the RTAs would leak anyway, plus I wanted to make everything smaller.

Continued using the TH Twin VV as the shitty mech mods weren't as conductive as I needed them to be.

Killer 705 promised me the world but it's really meant for single-coil users.

Microcoils took about a month to become the standard coil build - you never hear anyone moaning about hot legs or uneven coils any more outside of a mesh Genisis build.

Then the Nemesis [and more importantly for cheap c*nts like me, it's clones] came out, the best batteries nowadays have higher discharge rates and little internal resistance
    Drippers with deeper wells have killed RTAs for me, and AFC means leaking isn't an issue any more.
    Hybrid rings made the setup smaller again (have the ring glued to my Origen).

I'd call this my plateau as it's been that way since the start of the year, but I'm probably going to get the IPV V2 when it arrives on these shores. Depending on how heavy it is it could be gone the next day, or it might be my at-home mod.

I've used one of those large padded envelopes to hold the rest, like I'm trying to make a pillow for some vagrant I adopt the next time I stumble home from the pub.
    I've used some to send stuff to people, but have no idea why I've kept so many.

My name is grindle, and I'm addicted to padded envelopes.
    "Hello grindle."

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

^^All vaping products should have names like Throathit Twin.

EDIT: Hmm, didn't expect it to look like this

18650Mod_3.jpg

for some reason. Looks like it would still cut the mustard imo. Twin for two batts presumably?

Probably just projecting my own situation but someone on another thread made the point about 50 megapixel cameras and I do feel vaping is nearing that point. Big batteries, big watts, big clouds all pretty easily done. Where can you go with the existing tech? Although I would maybe like to see coils and wicks done away with if that's a possibility. Maybe move to a 'hot plate' type system, nothing but juice being heated over a flatter larger surface.

EDIT 2: Re IPV v2 - would this really be a step up for you? You're at about 40w and this goes to just 50. Thought you might be after an sx350 mod (It goes higher than that doesn't it?) and has a mech mod option as well. Wait...22mm thick. Jesus

EDIT the 3rd: IPV WTF! I'm a few days from ordering a genuine dna and charger for prob €60 all in to make a mod that will have costed me €80/€100 depending on how I look at it, and this was going for £65 on pre-order with free UK delivery!?! Ah ****ery bollocks **** piss.
    I presume Hana Modz have closed their doors at this stage. They had a good ride but forget the lawsuits etc., game over. Hope they squirreled some of that cash away for a rainy day.

Pre-orders available in the Free State also now http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/ipvv2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Hmmm , only in the game 9 weeks tomorrow and already I am having chats with myself to calm down . If I had come into this with money I would not have it now with all the shiny stuff out there .

I did a lot of research and had a good helping hand from Declan in Ezsmoke , got myself an esmok chrome pipe and an Aspire BDC clearo , then the following week an Aspire BDC Glassomiser , then the following week a Vapour Hut wooden pipe , week later an Aspire Mini Nova and then ....wait ... wait ... stop . All the time getting different juice here and there as well . Then I realised that this was a rich mans game and I wasn't able to play :( , and now I have myself convinced ( ish ) that you can enjoy it just as much with the bare minimum kit as long as you do a little research .

I intend to get a Vamo V5 and mini Nautilus later on in the year when I have gathered my finances and leave it at that for a while .

jonski wrote: »
    Hmmm , only in the game 9 weeks tomorrow and already I am having chats with myself to calm down . If I had come into this with money I would not have it now with all the shiny stuff out there .

I did a lot of research and had a good helping hand from Declan in Ezsmoke , got myself an esmok chrome pipe and an Aspire BDC clearo , then the following week an Aspire BDC Glassomiser , then the following week a Vapour Hut wooden pipe , week later an Aspire Mini Nova and then ....wait ... wait ... stop . All the time getting different juice here and there as well . Then I realised that this was a rich mans game and I wasn't able to play :( , and now I have myself convinced ( ish ) that you can enjoy it just as much with the bare minimum kit as long as you do a little research .

I intend to get a Vamo V5 and mini Nautilus later on in the year when I have gathered my finances and leave it at that for a while .

Yep, agree completely. I've gotten very excited about vaping again recently after spending the last while focusing on making a cart prime better so getting carried away with things but am pulling back for a while and will get the above device and mini nautilus in a while, when I've earned them. I've plenty to keep me going for now.

Don't know if it's a rich man's game, considering how expensive fags are/were, but I find it too easy to spend €20 every 3/4 days and convince myself it's only '2 packs of fags' rather than wait like a rational person and buy something expensive in a couple of months. I've spent a chunk of cash, but have no top end gear. In my own vaping I feel I'm almost where I'll be satisfied and so happier to wait now, the frustating vape experiences had me rushing around buying things. I feel I'm due the 'stop smoking, save money' effect that has been pretty elusive for me so far.

accaguest wrote: »
    Twin for two batts presumably?

Twin 18650, yep. Built very solidly, took ages for me to break it via it's weakest link, the 510 connection.
    Probably just projecting my own situation but someone on another thread made the point about 50 megapixel cameras and I do feel vaping is nearing that point. Big batteries, big watts, big clouds all pretty easily done. Where can you go with the existing tech? Although I would maybe like to see coils and wicks done away with if that's a possibility. Maybe move to a 'hot plate' type system, nothing but juice being heated over a flatter larger surface.
    The performance we expect from 18650s in smaller packages. 18350s going past 10A discharge and 1000mAh would be a big deal for most mech users and great for tiny box mods.
    If the cig companies had come into this industry the correct way they'd be dominating the eGo-kit side of the industry and those batteries would advance a bit faster. We've got eGos pushing 18w with the Spinner V2, if BT's money was invested in eGo chips and they used 14650 IMRs it'd be at 30w by now, with eGos maybe needing to be widened to 17mm max.
    Obviously having better-performing ecigs is against their primary interest but it's better than losing the race to someone else altogether.
    EDIT 2: Re IPV v2 - would this really be a step up for you? You're at about 40w and this goes to just 50. Thought you might be after an sx350 mod (It goes higher than that doesn't it?) and has a mech mod option as well. Wait...22mm thick. Jesus
    Not needing a step up in wattage - I really like 40w, don't want any more than that but do want it regulated and steady. It's the bug-bear I have with mechs that I've been putting up with for a while, would be nice to see it disappear.
    The SX350 would need twin 18650s to be usable for a reasonable amount of time at the very high wattages (80-100w whenever those upgrades go through), trying to strike a happy & powerful medium between the TH and a mech mod.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    It's the bug-bear I have with mechs that I've been putting up with for a while, would be nice to see it disappear.

It's probably cos my mech isn't my go to device, but I kind of like that about it atm. Not sure why, gives it a bit of naturalness(?) or something and acts as an extremely rudimentary puff counter for me.

EDIT: It could be because the drop off at 6.5watts just may not be as noticeable as that at 40. Although I'm hitting 10/11w sometimes now. Maybe I should start entering cloud competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Don't know if it's a rich man's game, considering how expensive fags are/were, but I find it too easy to spend €20 every 3/4 days and convince myself it's only '2 packs of fags' rather than wait like a rational person and buy something expensive in a couple of months. .

Agree with this completely!
    After the first couple of months I found I had to stop comparing vaping purchasing to cigarettes.
    I mean nearly everything is cheap compared to smoking.
    Honestly dont know how I afforded 20 a day habit.

I've recently purchased an MVP, came with iclear 30, for €55. Thought it was good value. I'm 11 months vaping and still have the 2 egos from my starter kit (one has been through a washing machine cycle and still fires!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I started off with a cigarette lookalike for a month...then went for the ego-c with the atomiser..cheap and cheerful..0mg nicotine..take a few pulls off it everyday..and one battery would last a week..atomiser lasts half a year..bottle of 30 ml juice lasts 3/4 months..

to me this is the way to use an e-cig.. no craving. Costs about 20 euro for 6 months.. it doesnt make much sense to me how people keep going for more and more expensive products. Keep stocks of flavours etc in their houses..

For me giving up smoking was important..but giving up vaping is now the priority...

padma wrote: »
    it doesnt make much sense to me how people keep going for more and more expensive products. Keep stocks of flavours etc in their houses..

It's the same as somebody buying a nice coffee machine and good brands of bean to have a cup or two every day VS being happy with a monthly cup of Maxwell House.

It's the same as somebody buying a nice coffee machine and good brands of bean to have a cup or two every day VS being happy with a monthly cup of Maxwell House.

Is it though? I mean..most folk here went to vaping to get off the fags...but i suppose it has become a new addiction..id equate it to more like used to buy 3 cappucinos every day in the local coffee shop..but now have a home coffee maker and has 1 cup every two days..

• Advertisement

Maybe if you live beside a really good coffee shop? Most have manky coffee that I wouldn't place above a Nescafe instant - you're genuinely blessed if the coffee shops around you sell better coffee than you can make at home.

You have a different goal to a lot of us but you're applying your end goal as if it must be the ideal for everybody else. It'd be much like me thinking you're weird for not vaping more (I don't think you're weird for not vaping more) - kind of shortsighted, too black and white.
    I never came into vaping thinking about giving it up, I was just sick of feeling like crap from cigarettes and happened upon ecigs. Gave them a try, switched completely, felt much better. If I hadn't found ecigs I'd still be smoking, but I did so it was a no-brainer.
    Not understanding why people have stocks of flavours is like thinking "I don't understand why people want different-tasting foods." (pork chops and spuds every single day gets boring on day two) and not understanding why they want better or different devices is the same as not understanding why people change or upgrade any device. They perceive a quality or qualities that they admire, it has a value to them, they justify spending for that value, they buy it.

Maybe if you live beside a really good coffee shop? Most have manky coffee that I wouldn't place above a Nescafe instant - you're genuinely blessed if the coffee shops around you sell better coffee than you can make at home.

You have a different goal to a lot of us but you're applying your end goal as if it must be the ideal for everybody else. It'd be much like me thinking you're weird for not vaping more (I don't think you're weird for not vaping more) - kind of shortsighted, too black and white.
    I never came into vaping thinking about giving it up, I was just sick of feeling like crap from cigarettes and happened upon ecigs. Gave them a try, switched completely, felt much better. If I hadn't found ecigs I'd still be smoking, but I did so it was a no-brainer.
    Not understanding why people have stocks of flavours is like thinking "I don't understand why people want different-tasting foods." (pork chops and spuds every single day gets boring on day two) and not understanding why they want better or different devices is the same as not understanding why people change or upgrade any device. They perceive a quality or qualities that they admire, it has a value to them, they justify spending for that value, they buy it.

I understand all that..but would it be fair to say..just my own opinion now..that there is a lot of marketing gone in to ecigs..where people are chasing a more satisfying experience each time they upgrade their devices..chasing new flavours..forums where folk can show off their devices enhances the social aspect..its all good as of course vaping is healthier than cigarettes.

But, where does it lead people..would it be fair to say a high percentage of people take up vaping because of health/financial reasons or becausse they tried for years..like me to give up but struggled. Then after a few weeks of vaping get pulled into the Im a vapourer not a smoker attitude. So as a stopping to smoke device it has become a keep vaping device... and chasing different mods and flavours..

Sorry im looking too deep into this industry..they arent like big tobacco..but lets be fair, if there was a clear goal/target of ceasing vaping. Maybe the public and govt bodies would be more pro vaping not as an alternative to smoking but as a cessation product

But there's no reason for there to be a "cease vaping" end goal unless you want to. Makes as much sense as "cease coffee drinking" or "cease steak eating" - if you have no prior or related health issues, there's no reason to give up unless you want to give up those things.

There's definitely a gadgetry and jewellery aspect to vaping for some folks that I don't understand myself, I'm more into the practicality of a device myself and if a €10 eGo + clearo could do what my devices do I'd still be using them. They can't so I have to do the gadget thing.
    I'm inclined towards doing gadgety things anyway so this is just another thing I delve deep into to maximise performance or get the greatest gain for smallest amount of work - my rebuild/maintenance is much easier than screwing a coil head into a clearo at this stage, not to mention never having to deal with duds or unusual performance or technical issues. Just doesn't happen once you find a comfortable groove.

You're over-thinking it on the keep-vaping point. As devices have gotten better it's enabled me to vape much much less. As they've gotten better it's given others a security that the device won't fail or is less likely to.
    I think much of the "I'm a vaper" attitude is more a reaction to reading nonsense being printed about ecigs or looking at policies being made that are definitely to the detriment of society - it's gonna piss people off and make them reactionary.

padma wrote: »
    but i suppose it has become a new addiction.
    ah, i lost my post, something went crazy. it's just this line. the word addiction is thrown around too easily these days. you here people banging on all the time 'im addicted to strictly come dancing' etc. i don't know, not having a go. it could be right, western decline, late capitalism blah de blah. or just more disposable income and leisure time - the problem with leisure, what to do, for pleasure etc. Anyway, er, vape on.
    MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    I've recently purchased an MVP, came with iclear 30, for €55.

i'd only seen these online until recently, waay smaller than i thought they'd be. usually things look bigger to me in pics. think this is a bit of a classic design imo.

Advertisement