Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant not paying rent

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all . problem .... iv a tenant that is €700 in arrears and has changed the lock without my permission, hes on social welfare, so not his money to spend on drink.
    what can i do ?? please help !! can i evict him straight away??

Comments

Can't evict straight away but you can serve notice of eviction. Could take months to actually get him out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

molod wrote: »
    Hi all . problem .... iv a tenant that is €700 in arrears and has changed the lock without my permission, hes on social welfare, so not his money to spend on drink.

Did the tenant sign a contract? Are you living in the same house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You have to send a notice of arrears or whatever its called. It gives the tenants 14 days to pay or you will start eviction. At this point you may give notice of eviction and after that it becomes a lot more difficult if he doesn't leave. Make sure you follow the law as this is one of those odd things where you will be the one in trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You have to send a notice of arrears or whatever its called. It gives the tenants 14 days to pay or you will start eviction. At this point you may give notice of eviction and after that it becomes a lot more difficult if he doesn't leave. Make sure you follow the law as this is one of those odd things where you will be the one in trouble.

14 day notice of arrears- detailing exactly the arrears, and when they were due, and giving 14 days to clear all arrears.

On the elapse of the 14 days- when the arrears in their entirety are not paid- notice of eviction- based on non-payment of rent. Don't mention the changing of the locks- as this will imply you have tried to gain unauthorised access to the property.

The length of time to vacate the property, for the eviction notice- depends entirely on how long they have been tenants in the property.

On the elapse of the notice of eviction- if he has not vacated the property- its a PRTB case.

With the notice of arrears- and the notice of eviction- registered post for both- maintain a proper paper trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

14 day notice of arrears- detailing exactly the arrears, and when they were due, and giving 14 days to clear all arrears.

On the elapse of the 14 days- when the arrears in their entirety are not paid- notice of eviction- based on non-payment of rent. Don't mention the changing of the locks- as this will imply you have tried to gain unauthorised access to the property.

The length of time to vacate the property, for the eviction notice- depends entirely on how long they have been tenants in the property.

On the elapse of the notice of eviction- if he has not vacated the property- its a PRTB case.

With the notice of arrears- and the notice of eviction- registered post for both- maintain a proper paper trail.
    Is it not 28 days when it is for non payment of rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Changing the lock is a breach of tenancy conditions - it may or may not give you more leeway.

If you are not aware of your rights and obligations as a landlord, you need proper legal advice, not randoms on the interwebz. Get a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Send letters by registered post. Hand delivered & no official proof that it was delivered can be argued it was never sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

molod wrote: »

Don't think that's particularly relevant information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Changing the lock is a breach of tenancy conditions - it may or may not give you more leeway.

If you are not aware of your rights and obligations as a landlord, you need proper legal advice, not randoms on the interwebz. Get a lawyer.

Sounds like you're telling her to invest more money into what is essentially a sinkhole. It sounds, from the OP, that the tenant might be a bit of a waster (not because of SW, the drink comment) and any payout is highly unlikely if not impossible.

OP all you can really do is serve the notice of arrears and then the eviction notice - and knock every day looking for your rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Sounds like you're telling her to invest more money into what is essentially a sinkhole. It sounds, from the OP, that the tenant might be a bit of a waster (not because of SW, the drink comment) and any payout is highly unlikely if not impossible.

OP all you can really do is serve the notice of arrears and then the eviction notice - and knock every day looking for your rent.
    IMHO, that would be classed as depriving the tenant (although in arrears of rent) of his peaceful enjoyment of the property. Stupid as the law is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

and knock every day looking for your rent.

After giving 24 hours notice that you're going to do so, of course!

OP, this is why you need real legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Honestly, if the tenant hasn't engaged at this point to try to resolve the arrears it's best to get the ball rolling on notice of arrears and notice of eviction straight away. You can try knocking on the door once or twice but don't be going down every day, that's just madness.

Unfortunately, if the tenant knows the law he can drag the eviction process out for a long time while the PRTB gets to his case. Ideally you will get back payment of rent missed but that can be a whole other headache trying to retrieve.

You have my sympathies, the situation you're describing is probably the biggest problem with renting in this country. Hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh, and don't report the tenant to Social Welfare if they are doing anything they shouldn't be doing, because if they have no money, they'll just stay longer. Well, not until they move...

Advertisement