Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemna regarding grant and BTEA

Options
  • 17-07-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys. I'm in a bit of a dilemna, have been accepted as a mature student for a course. My only problem is I am skint and at this stage I thought I would have some lots of savings which I don't have and I still owe credit union money. I should qualify to get my fees paid for which is great.

In 2013 I earned under 22,000 which means I am within the limits to get the grant. However from what I can see I will receive just over 1000. Which I am shocked at really I thought it would be a lot more. I really don't think I can survive on my minimum wage paid job at weekends along with 5 days college work. I don't think it is possible financially or mentally.

Do I try to get fired from my job in January 2015 and try to survive on 188 per week until September 2015 which by then I will have qualified for back to education allowance and then will manage financially a lot better.

Or take out a big ass loan? And try to pay off weekly from my weekend job? Has anyone gone down the loan route? Can not find any viable options so far online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

If you go on the dole and get casual work whatever payment you got on average for the 8 weeks before you started college in September would be what you get for the 3/4 years so if you happened to lose your job at the end of May you'd get the 188 still

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

richy wrote: »
    If you go on the dole and get casual work whatever payment you got on average for the 8 weeks before you started college in September would be what you get for the 3/4 years so if you happened to lose your job at the end of May you'd get the 188 still

Hmmm don't think so. Citizens information says you need to be on social welfare payments for 9 months to qualify for back to education

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ckd

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Hmmm don't think so. Citizens information says you need to be on social welfare payments for 9 months to qualify for back to education

Yep you have to be on a social welfare payment for 9 months before getting BTEA for 3rd level, 3 months for 2nd level ie repeat leaving or plc.

Your only option is to put off college for a year and like you said go on job seekers in January so you will qualify for BTEA in Sept 2015, or try to manage on your wages and the extra €135 per month you will get from the grant.

Advertisement