Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remounting Sensors on New Windows

Options
  • 17-07-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

We have got new windows installed this week and ideally was hoping not to drill into them for mounting the contacts and inertia sensors. Can I check if anyone know's if its a requirement to drill in the sensors or would it be acceptable to use very strong adhesive backing on them?

Can see online re issues of adhesive being OK so long as the surface is properly cleaned beforehand, but also plenty of stories of sensors falling off randomly due to temperature changes etc.

Any advice/thoughts is much appreciated. Will be getting them professionally remounted and wired but need to have my facts together beforehand.

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just asking on a similar note, i had a new front door put in.
    is there a maximum distance that the sensors can be apart? the one fixed to the frame doesn't quite reach as far as it did on the old frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hello All,

We have got new windows installed this week and ideally was hoping not to drill into them for mounting the contacts and inertia sensors. Can I check if anyone know's if its a requirement to drill in the sensors or would it be acceptable to use very strong adhesive backing on them?

Can see online re issues of adhesive being OK so long as the surface is properly cleaned beforehand, but also plenty of stories of sensors falling off randomly due to temperature changes etc.

Any advice/thoughts is much appreciated. Will be getting them professionally remounted and wired but need to have my facts together beforehand.

Thanks
    Paddy

Using adhesive is not a great idea for the reasons you mentioned above.
    The sensor itself also needs to be tight on the frame for proper stability to the frame to pick up on a attack or a pulse activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

just asking on a similar note, i had a new front door put in.
    is there a maximum distance that the sensors can be apart? the one fixed to the frame doesn't quite reach as far as it did on the old frame.

Just depends on the magnet used, some can be 10mil some can be up to 30mil or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I've seen wireless aritech shock sensors glued onto window and door frames as the chap who owned the house refused to let them drill into the new window and door frames. It's hugely popular in the states to just use adhesive to mount sensors. I've personally tested wireless hkc sensors using command strips out in the shed.. They didn't let me down. I use two command strips to hold an ipad to the wall beside the desk as it's great for watching films.

Advertisement